Thread: JFK and LGA operation and development questions

JFK and LGA operation and development questions

OK...went spotting at JFK for the first time in a while. I was at JFK a few months ago flying out, but I was at T3 and didn't really pay attention to what's going on at the other side of the airport. Anyways, to my surprise, there were doing a lot of construction inside T4. I know Delta is building an expansion there, but why would there be construction in the middle of the terminal? It seemed to be in fine shape before. Also noticed that T6 was totally gone. Since when did they demolish it and what are they planning to so with all that space?

Now on to LGA. I notice when departing from 13, they're going straight out and then turn left as opposed to the usual right turn right after lift-off and then left turn. I know this is the procedure they use during the US Open, but that's not happening for a little while. What's with them using this procedure more often? Last time I took off from 13, which was a few years ago, we took-off straight and then turned left.

The construction in the middle of T4 is for a new centralized security screening area, both for passengers and luggage. I believe the shops and food court will be behind security when this is done, which sucks if you want to visit but is good if you're actually traveling.

Demolition of T6 was completed a few months ago. JetBlue is going to expand T5 into the space for their international ops, which currently have to use T4 for customs/immigration.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

That sucks about T4. Are there any terminals at JFK that have a food court before security? I know T1 did, but I haven't been there in years, so I have no idea if they did any changes since then.

T1 still has a food court before security.

Can't see outside from the T4 food court anyway.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Not entire true. There are two seating areas in T4 that give you a little view of the ramp through two panes of glass.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

As far as LGA Departures of 13 they still normally use the standard "Whitestone" climb with the right turn right after departure but I do see them do the straight-out "Flushing" climb you saw from time to time even without the US Open in session. I saw it being used one day around 2 weeks ago, not sure why. Could have something to do with JFK's configuration. LGA777

Quote Originally Posted by LGA777 View Post
    As far as LGA Departures of 13 they still normally use the standard "Whitestone" climb with the right turn right after departure but I do see them do the straight-out "Flushing" climb you saw from time to time even without the US Open in session. I saw it being used one day around 2 weeks ago, not sure why. Could have something to do with JFK's configuration. LGA777
    They used the Flushing climb yesterday afternoon. I just notice it in use a lot more these days. I live in Bayside, so I can tell what they use when I look up.