Thread: Unbelievable Snow Removal Technique

Unbelievable Snow Removal Technique

Happened across this video of a different technique to remove snow from the wing during takeoff. Guess the pilots saved the company some money by not using deicing fluid.

-Tad

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    if it's well below freezing and the snow is just powder i could see how speed alone would be effective. ice is the biggest danger.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

[IF] these are Mexican pilots, they just say:

"De-icing fluid, señor? We don neeh no de-icing fluid!"
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas View Post
    if it's well below freezing and the snow is just powder i could see how speed alone would be effective. ice is the biggest danger.
    What if there's ice hiding under the snow? I would have been flipping out if I were on that plane.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter View Post
    What if there's ice hiding under the snow? I would have been flipping out if I were on that plane.
    that's why i'd get deiced if there's anything on my wings. i didn't mean to say it's a good idea i just see how it'll work.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Thankfully, we have laws about de-icing here in the US. This is also why I don't fly in Russia.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

I do not understand what the big deal is, If there was ice under the snow it would soon melt off in a worst case scenario anyway
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    I do not understand what the big deal is, If there was ice under the snow it would soon melt off in a worst case scenario anyway
    Yeah, that big fireball at the end of the runway would make quick work of any ice on the wings...

OH MY GOD MOOSE YOUR SICK!!!!
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

It's like we used to say on Alert - if something happens on takeoff, you can't safely abort, and will likely end up as a fireball at the end of the runway. That sucks for the crew in the airplane, but the hot air rising of the fire will give some added lift to the aircraft following along behind.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter View Post

It's nice to know I wouldn't be the only one "overreacting" to airfoil contamination like this.