Thread: Blue Angels survey flight April 2nd 2012

Blue Angels survey flight April 2nd 2012

On Monday April 2nd, the US Navy Flight Demonstration Squadron ("Blue Angels") will execute a survey flight in the New York City area. The Blue Angels Aerial Survey Flight will consist of 2 F/A-18 Hornet Fighter Jets. The aircraft will conduct passes as low as 500 feet above ground level and at speeds up to 300 kts in order to familiarize and evaluate a potential flight course for the upcoming US Navy War of 1812 commemoration during this year’s Fleet Week celebration in May. The Verrazano Bridge and the George Washington Bridge will serve as entry and exit points. The two aircraft will depart Republic Airfield in Farmingdale, NY and conduct multiple passes over the Hudson River between 9:30 AM and 11:00 AM, turning in the area south of the Verrazano and north of the George Washington bridges.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

about 700 feet west of runway 14-32 in Farmingdale
    I posted shots of them taking off (as well as landing last night) hopefully someone will be able to post shots of them over the Hudson.

Quick glimpse of them zipping over New York Harbor before disappearing behind the skyline:

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Anyone see any coverage of this on the TV media side?
    And this morning one of my work areas had Z100 on and THEY announced that the Angels would be flying along the Hudson. So the powers-that-be really put the info out there.
    But yopu'll always get a few noodniks who didnt get the FYI.

Someone on Twitter said to us earlier along the lines of "ya think they'd go out of their way to tell people beyond just the TFR". I replied that the notifications were actually pretty extensive.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    Managed to catch them from my office window this morning. A little bit after 10:20, I thought "hmm, wonder if anyone has an updated departure time." Looked up from my keyboard just in time to see 2 F-18s flash through the gap between buildings. Nice and low, and they must have been pretty close to the Battery since they were much, much larger than the helicopters inbound JRB that I usually see. Didn't hear them at all, but our windows do have pretty good sound insulation.

Found this cool video of the Blues flying down the Hudson River with the NYC skyline in the background

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
    Found this cool video of the Blues flying down the Hudson River with the NYC skyline in the background
    Good find. That was pretty cool especially the shot of them passing the new WTC!!

Found this photo gallery link of some cool pics from the Blue Angels Survey flight over NYC
    http://photos.nj.com/4505/gallery/bl...ver/index.html