Thread: Read the Federal Complaint Against JetBlue Pilot Clayton Osbon

Post Read the Federal Complaint Against JetBlue Pilot Clayton Osbon

NYCAviation:
    Read the Federal Complaint Against JetBlue Pilot Clayton Osbon

Federal prosecutors filed a criminal complaint against Clayton Osbon, the JetBlue Flight 191 Captain who suffered a psychotic episode on March 27, 2012.
    [Click to Read Full Article]

Wow that was some read, glad things worked out the way they did, this sounds like it could have had a very different outcome.

Oddly enough, the retired officer Dave Gonzalez, who helped subdue the captain, is a client of ours, and I have met him a number of times.....small world.
    It's the fares, stupid

I remember reading back in 2001 that JetBlue had installed CCTV camera on their A320 that covered the flight deck, the door, and galley near the door. Does anyone know did JetBlue still does this, or if that system even recorded? Thanks?

Never mind. JetBlue just confirmed to be that they do still have CCTV, but sadly, it does not record.

What crock of.... The man very well could be or have been suffering from a medical disorder and the Feds are going forward and charging him with a crime???

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76 View Post
    What crock of.... The man very well could be or have been suffering from a medical disorder and the Feds are going forward and charging him with a crime???
    And he will plead not guilty for reasons of a medical disability and get off.
    Last edited by emshighway; 2012-03-30 at 06:56 PM.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

A friend of mine informed me that the captain's last medical per an FAA site was done 12/09...can anyone confirm this?

Just like anyone else, I've been through my share of hardships. I understand there are bills to pay and people to feed, but I would NEVER get into an airplane if I was not 100% confident in my mental capacity to perform my duties with 100% integrity and safety. I've been feeling sick all day after reading the complaint.
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Or course he was charged in this case - he did in fact interfere with crew members, and at the time charges were filed, no one knows why he acted the way he did. Was it a medical condition? Was he on some substance? We don't know yet, and until we do, he faces charges.

Quote Originally Posted by threeholerglory View Post
    A friend of mine informed me that the captain's last medical per an FAA site was done 12/09...can anyone confirm this?
    Not according to the FAA Airmen Registry. And as a First Class Medical is only valid for 6 months when conducting operations requiring an ATP, he (and B6) would have been in violation of FAA regs if that were the case.

It is likely there are details we don't know about that Captain Osbon does- signs that he probably ignored before boarding that he was not feeling or thinking well. That to me is more probable than the outside chance that this was a complete fluke and that he had no idea this episode was coming on until they were already airborne. Hopefully I'm wrong.

When I was married, my 13-year old stepson had a reaction to a medication he was given (at the ER of all places), and within the space of 2 hours he become a completely different person, psychotic screaming, hallucinating, being combative and all. It took him 3 days to get back to normal. The ER denied giving him the medication. Maybe this was something similar, I have no idea.

One of the drawbacks to this infinitely connected "age" that we live in is that peoples' demand for news trumps the need for complete stories to be assembled, and as a result there are hoardes of people that jump to all kinds of conclusions without knowing the true facts of these situations(I can think of at least one other story that is pretty much dominating the national headlines at this time that reflects this behavior).

I'm sure more will be known about Captain Osbon's situation as time goes on, and I personally hope there is a benign cause to his behavior. Until then all this is just speculation.

Tommy, my sentiments exactly.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"