Thread: Iranians Taking Pics of Sensitive Sights

Iranians Taking Pics of Sensitive Sights

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1048576

Including the Wall Street Heliport

yet another attempt to instill fear of photography/photographers- I am so sick of this crap the so-called "media" shoves down everyone's throats

how long until it's "if you see people taking pictures, call the police!" hell, what am I saying we're already halfway there

Who is going to take pictures of the terrorists taking pictures then? I wonder when cameras are outlawed, only outlaws will have cameras? I can keep and bear arms but not a camera?
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

I have pictures of the Brooklyn Bridge and Wall Street heliport...am I next?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Guys I dont see this as an anti-photographers article. In these cases these guys were obviously up to no good and the axiom "If you see
    something, say something" paid off. They werent just taking tourist type pictures but obviously had bad intent here. For me its kinda chiling
    that so many of these Iranians are able to move about freely in our midst. These are these are the ones they caught. How may others are out
    there?

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    I have pictures of the Brooklyn Bridge and Wall Street heliport...am I next?
    Moose, you and I...along with a gaggle of other folks were already tagged as "middle-eastern men pointing cameras at airplanes" several years ago. I don't think we have a fighting chance.
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

You really don't see this as helping to lay the foundation for(or should I say, further reinforcing) the perception of people with cameras as possible terrorists? You think we have it bad at the airport, architectural photographers must get constantly challenged about the 'legitimacy' of their actions.

You are all free to form your own opinions of course, but I for one think this baloney, a story concocted by whoever(does it matter anymore who), a collection of fabricated lies to keep us afraid. I don't believe a word I read in the "news" anymore.

This is nothing but fearmongering.

I think there IS legitimacy to terrorism and photography....you just need to apply some common sense to it. Keep in mind we get stopped by cops all the time...as we probably SHOULD. I've always said I am worried when we're out there ALL DAY and police DON'T show up. It's how they treat us and handle the situation that makes the difference. If they catch some guys in the process that do have some sort of negative connections...then that's how it should be going down.

We don't have all of the info about how those situations went down, so I'm not going to be too quick to chalk it up to mistreatment of photographers. However, I do fear this type of activity (along with the climbing genius at EWR) can and likely will make it more difficult for us to spot around here.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Some of these reports were from seven years ago and were already public knowledge. This is more political fear mongering to gain public support for a war in Iran.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    I think there IS legitimacy to terrorism and photography....you just need to apply some common sense to it. Keep in mind we get stopped by cops all the time...as we probably SHOULD. I've always said I am worried when we're out there ALL DAY and police DON'T show up. It's how they treat us and handle the situation that makes the difference. If they catch some guys in the process that do have some sort of negative connections...then that's how it should be going down.
    Well said Phil. Instead of getting angry and defensive lets just face reality. We live in a world where the threat of terrorism hangs over our
    heads. And I dont believe this threat by the Iranians is fearmongering. Their president is a dangerous megalomaniac who would like nothing
    better to attack this country. We should not let our guard down and if it just so happens you, me or anyone gets stopped by the authorities, so
    be it.
    And seriously, how bad is it to go photographing? I see tons of threads here everyday of people photographing planes at airports all over the US
    and the world, displaying their wonderful pictures. Except for the two guys who got stopped by the SS recently the "Spotter Blotter" section has
    been pretty quiet. So please stop with the hysteria. The weather is warming up, it stays light out later and the air show season is starting to ramp
    up so get out and enjoy your passion but at the same time be alert.

Gerard, the only hysteria on this thread is coming from you. To say the article is a bunch of propaganda is not being angry or defensive. You know we have regular run-ins with the police and they don't always start well. I love the NYPD as much as anyone else, but they need to remember that it wasn't photographers that caused 9/11. I face the new reality every day, my friend, but I don't have to swallow this McCarthyism to know how to live in it. As Phil says, some common sense is needed.

I don't have ANY problems getting stopped by the police, or being watched by them. They can watch me all they want. Actually, by this point they should have made us into our own police auxiliary unit. But this thinly-disguised encouragement of saber-rattling masquerading as news is a threat to our pursuit of happiness, because eventually, it WILL come to the passage of actual laws prohibiting photography.

Besides, I don't think Iran wants to be turned into a big parking lot that no one could live in for 40,000 years. I hear its a beautiful country and they should try to keep it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    But this thinly-disguised encouragement of saber-rattling masquerading as news is a threat to our pursuit of happiness, because eventually, it WILL come to the passage of actual laws prohibiting photography.
    You really believe that? I dont see that happening. Unless Santorum is elected President.

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    Anyone who thinks Iran is an actual threat to the United States is shockingly naive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    Anyone who thinks Iran is an actual threat to the United States is shockingly naive.
    Color me Shockingly Red Naive.
    Maybe not directly but they are a threat.