Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: AirShowBuzz Closed

AirShowBuzz Closed

I visited Airshowbuzz.com tonight, and found this posted:

Airshowbuzz has flown west
    When we launched ASB 5 years ago it quickly became the premier online community for the air show industry. During that time, we have met countless friends from around the world who share our passion for aviation.

While it has been an amazing experience, we ultimately realize our true passion lies in our involvement with the live air show community and doing what we love most, flying. Because of this, we will be closing ASB effective immediately. Moving forward, we will put all our energy towards being part of the wonderful group of family and friends at the live events across the country.

We want to thank all of you for being a part of this great experience and we look forward to seeing you at an air show very soon.

Wow, too bad was a great resource, guess Fence Check will be happy.
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

It's a real bummer.

I have always used ASB to follow the teams & shows around the country. It has also been a place where many of us have been able to meet & become friends with many of the performers. Sadly, I've seen ASB appear to be in a slow decent over the last year or so & have seen some of the founding members disapear all together. Not a big fan of FC, just not as user friendly.
    EVERYONE IS THERE TO SEE THE SHERPA!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tim #70 View Post
    It's a real bummer.

I have always used ASB to follow the teams & shows around the country. It has also been a place where many of us have been able to meet & become friends with many of the performers. Sadly, I've seen ASB appear to be in a slow decent over the last year or so & have seen some of the founding members disapear all together. Not a big fan of FC, just not as user friendly.
    Definately right Tim, I always found them to be great resource for the shows especially for me Rhode Island, A/C, JSOH, Oceana.

And I agree Fence Check is not as user friendly.

I've always been a bit ambivalent about ASB. It had some great information, and it was interesting to read some of the posts from the performers, but some members got a little too "fan boy" about interacting with the performers on the board. And I got a bit turned off right from the start - they launched the site in 2007, and promoted it heavily during the Jones Beach Air Show. That was also the year Shipley brought his F-86 to the show. I got a great departure shot from the old tower, and posted it here. When I went to check out ASB a couple of days later, the photo was posted, uncredited, in their "favorite photos" section. I sent Shipley a message - since he seemed to be in charge at the time, politely saying "I'm glad you like my photo, and I'm happy for you to display it on ASB, I just ask that you credit me." A day or two later I received a one line reply from him "The photo has been removed." If that's your attitude, then yes, by all means remove it.

AirshowBuzz has been on the downward spiral for over a year. I had not been able to post there for just as long due a login glitch with Google on my mobile device, or at least that's what their webmaster explained to me. In the end they never fixed the problem and I was left as just an onlooker. Though great for info their admins had definately failed to keep up with the slop that entered their messageboards recently. I do agree it was much more user friendly than Fencecheck in the beginning. However, Liza has taken great strides the past few years in in making Fencecheck more welcoming to those outside the fence so to speak.
    +++++1970-2006+++++
    Tomcats Forever, Baby!

I remember that shot, that was an awesome shot Moose, wonder why the attitude. I just like the fact that it provided info on the off Long Island shows making travel planning easier.

I too remember that shot & the back story Moose.

ASB hosted a really cool get together 3 years ago at Jim Beasley's hanger in Chester. It was very cool to hang & see Jimmy's planes up close. That being said, I also agree with Moose that ASB became very "Fanboyish". I think that kind of turned off some of the performers as well since we saw less & less of them over the years.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.
    '

Hello everyone. As a refugee from ASB, I hope those who have seen my posts over the years at that site, would not consider me a "fanboy". I always enjoyed meeting some of the airshow performers but certainly didn't consider it a lifetime goal. My love has always been the aircraft. Oh, sure, I was a bit "starstruck" meeting Dale Snodgrass and a couple other legends over the years, but to me, those pilots were just as important to aviation as the planes.

But, be that as it may, from what I have seen of this site, your love of aviation will help me to feed mine. Something that ASB was doing. Can't be much of a plane spotter here in my town, Tallahassee Florida. The local airport hardly lets you get in the same zip code as the runways. There is the occasional EAA fly-in in which I can take pics, so I'll just sit back and enjoy the postings here if you don't mind.

Signed the ASB refugee, Flightfan

Flightfan....I am sorry for your loss.. We hope you stick around!

I post this Bombshell for you
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Wow, and I thought the pics on Fence Check were tough to compete with.

Quote Originally Posted by flightfan View Post
    Hello everyone. As a refugee from ASB, I hope those who have seen my posts over the years at that site, would not consider me a "fanboy". I always enjoyed meeting some of the airshow performers but certainly didn't consider it a lifetime goal. My love has always been the aircraft. Oh, sure, I was a bit "starstruck" meeting Dale Snodgrass and a couple other legends over the years, but to me, those pilots were just as important to aviation as the planes.

But, be that as it may, from what I have seen of this site, your love of aviation will help me to feed mine. Something that ASB was doing. Can't be much of a plane spotter here in my town, Tallahassee Florida. The local airport hardly lets you get in the same zip code as the runways. There is the occasional EAA fly-in in which I can take pics, so I'll just sit back and enjoy the postings here if you don't mind.

Signed the ASB refugee, Flightfan
    Welcome to the site, flightfan! Whatever your aviation flavor is, we love to talk about it around here, so you're in good company. Glad to have you, and sorry to hear about ASB.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

I have to say, I'm not terribly sorry to see it go.

One thing I have noticed on many photography/spotting sites is how vicious people can be to a different opinion. And the better the photographer, the more vicious. I remember when I was a teenager on the old ICAS forums, I posted an opinion, and many people took 'great offense to it and declared me an enemy'. One very popular photographer (a name I am sure everyone here knows) for years has gone off onto cussing/insulting rants anytime he sees me post on just about any site, it seems. Even into the ASB days, if you didn't have the 'US military is an absolute flawless force that can never ever do any wrong and every other country on the planet sucks' attitude in your posts, people would declare you enemies and attack you at levels that would be equal to or below gradeschool. The same people would suck up to performers to try and gain favor and access..

That's another thing, access gets you the blind eye. On the Houston Spotters forums, we had this one guy who would go on rants you wouldn't believe. He even at one point told me to kill myself, then deleted the post and tried to pretend I was making it up. They never did a thing about him in his attacks or rants because he could get people access. But me...I was banned for...get ready....mentioning a participant at a fly-in they claimed would not be there and I was giving out false information, but then it turned out that participant was in fact there. I since figured out and had it confirmed they simply did it to maintain favor to the person that wanted access from. Also, there was an incident when it was talking about security at airports, and I just casually mentioned amature spotters didn't have a business card to show as credientials. Oooh, that HAD to mean that I was bitter at the 'professionals' and they even tried to arrange face-to-face arguments.

Thank you NYC aviation for being the first mature aviation forum I could find.

So, yeah. As useful as ASB could be, it was also quite a cesspool.

/rant
    Last edited by Perriwen; 2012-03-17 at 07:39 PM.

I'm sorry you experienced those things around the internet, Perriwen. It's sad to hear about stuff like that, because we do it all as a hobby...it's what we do for FUN in our free time, so it's a shame to see anyone need to take it so seriously and becomevicious to others. I'm glad you find some good times here. :)
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Perriwen View Post
    I have to say, I'm not terribly sorry to see it go.

One thing I have noticed on many photography/spotting sites is how vicious people can be to a different opinion. And the better the photographer, the more vicious. I remember when I was a teenager on the old ICAS forums, I posted an opinion, and many people took 'great offense to it and declared me an enemy'. One very popular photographer (a name I am sure everyone here knows) for years has gone off onto cussing/insulting rants anytime he sees me post on just about any site, it seems. Even into the ASB days, if you didn't have the 'US military is an absolute flawless force that can never ever do any wrong and every other country on the planet sucks' attitude in your posts, people would declare you enemies and attack you at levels that would be equal to or below gradeschool. The same people would suck up to performers to try and gain favor and access..

That's another thing, access gets you the blind eye. On the Houston Spotters forums, we had this one guy who would go on rants you wouldn't believe. He even at one point told me to kill myself, then deleted the post and tried to pretend I was making it up. They never did a thing about him in his attacks or rants because he could get people access. But me...I was banned for...get ready....mentioning a participant at a fly-in they claimed would not be there and I was giving out false information, but then it turned out that participant was in fact there. I since figured out and had it confirmed they simply did it to maintain favor to the person that wanted access from. Also, there was an incident when it was talking about security at airports, and I just casually mentioned amature spotters didn't have a business card to show as credientials. Oooh, that HAD to mean that I was bitter at the 'professionals' and they even tried to arrange face-to-face arguments.

Thank you NYC aviation for being the first mature aviation forum I could find.

So, yeah. As useful as ASB could be, it was also quite a cesspool.

/rant

I guess I must have had my head in the sand for the last 7 years. There were some Know it all's on ASB but the reason I liked it, (& NYCA) is because I really didn't see the kind of behavior you're describing. I did see this on several other sites, which is why I pretty much stuck to ASB & NYCA.

I don't know you from a hole in the wall, I didn't know you on ASB, but if you have a problem with people on every bored (except 1) that you post on, I would look a little closer to home. Not saying you're a bad guy, but in the magical internet forum world it can be hard to tell when one is joking or sarcastic. Perhaps you should be a little more aware of how you word things in your posts as meanings can easily get confused.