Thread: Strange patterns on buildings

Question Strange patterns on buildings

I enjoy taking photos showing the progress of construction of the new 1 World Trade Center. Sadly, all my photos are ruined. I seem to get some sort of pattern on the fine detail of the skyscraper. I've noticed this before on digital photography. It can't seem to handle very fine detail and so swerving curves appear instead. Is there a solution? Would using a higher MP setting help? I usually use 6 MP. Would 10 MP help? Thanks.

What camera are you using? Sounds like moiré, though I'm surprised glass shows it.

TIS
    Antonis Panayotatos
    Owner, Photographer
    www.stellaryear.com

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7DMkII: Canon 24-70L USM II, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4ART, Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 DG OS HSM

As Antonis said, it is more likely Moire than anything else. An example would help, of course. Anyway, MP usually does not in and of itself matter much. It is the relationship of your camera's sensor design, Anti-Aliasing filter design and software. Essentially a pattern being photographed phases with the frequency of the pixel pattern on your sensor and causes an interference between the two. You can easily reproduce this by photographing your computer or TV monitor with your cellphone and moving it around to see how it behaves.

Some ways to avoid it is to slightly de-focus your shot and also moving around from your position to a different position. Changing the angle of the camera to subject helps. Using a Tilt-Shift lens also works miracles for obvious reasons, but I know not many folks have either the desire nor the need for a T&S lens

Finally, there are some tricks you can use in post processing to minimize and reduce the effect at the cost of resolution and color fidelity.

Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

I was going to say it is a security feature built into the building, so the "bad guys" can't get clear photos of it for untoward purposes...

Program Coordinator
    Moose already hit it on the head...it's the new building anti-photography retrofit project from DHS. Word on the street is they've got the same material under testing on some junk 787 out in CA for use on airplanes.

i can think of a few "models" who could use that type of anti-photography "cloak"...and no cute remarks Jeremy...you know what I'm getting at.
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

What do you mean? Kenny LOVES to have his ass photographed!
    Manny Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    What do you mean? Kenny LOVES to have his ass photographed!
    and we ALL know you're so pleased to oblige him

I use a Panasonic Lumix with a 10X zoom. I neglected to mention that I get these wavy patterns on some older buildings,too. Strangely, when I zoom-in for a tight shot, the wavy patterns disappear so I doubt it's a cloaking device. The camera's MOS probably can't handle fine detail of certain buildings,so the wavy pattern ensues. I've also seen these patterns often of old photos of the former WTC buildings. Never got such distortions on aircraft photos.

You need to have a repeating fine pattern (or not, actually) that matches the sensor pattern in your camera and that's all it takes to make it happen. It is likely your particular camera model does not have a very strong AA filter to combat the effect in order to give you sharper images as a result.

As for your statement re: planes, name one plane you have ever seen that has a fine repeating pattern?
    Manny Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by threeholerglory View Post
    and we ALL know you're so pleased to oblige him
    Jealous, Mike? Don't spoil my relationship with Kenny
    Manny Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    Jealous, Mike? Don't spoil my relationship with Kenny
    spoil it? I just wanted to be the middle spoon.