Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 03/01/12 ever visit by Secret service?!

03/01/12 ever visit by Secret service?!

I was out today with Yankees at the Privar Country Club where i have the Permission to Spott.
    A Helicopter went down and from 2 sites Black guys came to us.
    Somebody Shout "Put your hands up" and we did that.
    He checkt everything asked what we doing check my ID and Visa and told me he will make a Background check if I'm Illegal here etc..
    He also chekd my Bag
    We saw her coming but were not allowed to take any pictures.
    After she landed they went into the helicopter and flew away..

Im a bit scared about what happened but its the Air Force one and i understand that "safer first" is a big thing.

That was fun :-). I don't think anyone else on this forum can say that they made a Secret Service helicopter land just to speak to them. Too bad we didn't get any pics of her though.

Quote Originally Posted by yankees368 View Post
    That was fun :-). I don't think anyone else on this forum can say that they made a Secret Service helicopter land just to speak to them. Too bad we didn't get any pics of her though.
    I wouldn't say that's fun.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Oh Brother LOL. I may be out there Monday I think I am going to stop in at Inwood CC and touch base. Too funny. Dennis PM me who you speak to when you are there because the people I deal with are still probably down in Florida.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by eric8669 View Post
    I wouldn't say that's fun.
    Well it was at least interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by DWaviation View Post
    I was out today with Yankees at the Privar Country Club where i have the Permission to Spott.
    A Helicopter went down and from 2 sites Black guys came to us.
    Somebody Shout "Put your hands up" and we did that.
    He checkt everything asked what we doing check my ID and Visa and told me he will make a Background check if I'm Illegal here etc..
    He also chekd my Bag
    We saw her coming but were not allowed to take any pictures.
    After she landed they went into the helicopter and flew away..

Im a bit scared about what happened but its the Air Force one and i understand that "safer first" is a big thing.
    I'm sorry, I have many questions.

Where is Privar Country Club?

When you say "went down" you mean landed? "Went down" for aircraft usually means a crash.

What kind of helicopter? Where exactly did it land? They landed just to confront you?

I don't see what relevance their race was...but what were they wearing?

when you say "her" you mean Air Force One, right?

Did they say that you weren't allowed to photograph?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

He means Inwood CC. I just got off the phone with them. I will discuss this but only in PM. I highly recommend we don't discuss this in a public forum. Everything is cool.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    I'm sorry, I have many questions.

Where is Privar Country Club?

When you say "went down" you mean landed? "Went down" for aircraft usually means a crash.

What kind of helicopter? Where exactly did it land? They landed just to confront you?

I don't see what relevance their race was...but what were they wearing?

when you say "her" you mean Air Force One, right?

Did they say that you weren't allowed to photograph?
    I'll try and translate for Dennis.

Inwood Country Club, he may have meant two guys in black suites. atleast that's what I think he means.

I was listening at the time, yes they landed just to confront them.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

Thanks for translation..
    Here an image of the Helicopter its a regular NassauPD one

To clear things up Dennis does have permission to be there but originally got it from a member who is on the board and has been shooting there. The GM of course is fine with this but did not know Dennis was coming today or he would have told him no only because of AF1. Secret Service always contacts Inwood CC in advance to coordinate the arrival and has a presence there and basically wants the flight path secure (obviously).

When Dennis mentioned Inwood in the other thread we all assumed he meant the park. So everything is cool but just be advised that Inwood can't allow photogs on their property when AF1 is coming. In addition to what they have to deal with when it's in season and they have members on their property.

I guess it ended well, but it is silly that they didn't let you take photos even AFTER they searched you and found you were no risk.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Im still a risk for them.. they phoned my host parents and asking what I'm doing here what is the name of my exchange program etc..
    But its good to hear that security is a big thing and they do their job..
    Last edited by DWaviation; 2012-03-01 at 07:49 PM.

That was my bigger fear, that they would contact your host family and they would react by prohibiting spotting/photography or something like that. I know several people who have had run ins with the Secret Service before, and they have always ended well. It can definitely be a little intimidating (to say the least) but they always treat you fairly. It sounds like you did the right thing by complying 105% of the way. Not getting the pic of AF1 is a bummer for sure, but getting into trouble with the law is a whole 'nother kind of bummer.

I got AF1 from my apartment balcony twice approaching PHL. The amount of trouble that thing stirs up, in my mind, doesn't justify the effort. I'm WAY more worried about being able to get the 787 at EWR next week, and the Shuttle in April. Those are the golden rings for me this year

But hopefully if anything, the Secret Service learned something about planespotting

I don't think they learned much of anything from us today. I did, however, learn that they can land their helicopter pretty much wherever they want.