Page 10 of 54 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Shuttle Enterprise to New York April 23rd, 2012

Is 10:30 the time it's leaving IAD, or the time it's expected to start flying around NYC?
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Issue Date : April 19, 2012 at 2239 UTC
    Beginning Date and Time : April 23, 2012 at 1400 UTC 1000 Local
    Ending Date and Time : April 23, 2012 at 1500 UTC 1100 Local
    Reason for NOTAM : Temporary flight restrictions for Special Security Reasons
    Type : Security
    Replaced NOTAM(s) : N/A
    Jump To: Affected Areas
    Operating Restrictions and Requirements
    Other Information

Operating Restrictions and Requirements Top
    No pilots may operate an aircraft in the areas covered by this NOTAM (except as described).
    EXCEPT AS SPECIFIED BELOW AND/OR UNLESS AUTHORIZED BY ATC IN COORDINATION WITH THE DOMESTIC EVENTS NETWORK (DEN):
    1. FOR OPERATIONS WITHIN THIS TFR, ALL EMERGENCY/LIFE SAVING FLIGHTS (AIR AMBULANCE/LAW ENFORCEMENT/FIREFIGHTING) AND DOD FLIGHTS MUST COORDINATE WITH THE FAA OPERATIONAL MANAGER IN CHARGE AT THE NEW YORK TRACON AT 516-683-2966.
    Other Information: Top
    ARTCC: ZNY - New York Center
    Authority: Title 14 CFR section 99.7

"You above all"

Unreal - no real rain for a month until now ......
    "my finger on the shutter button, while my eye is over my shoulder"

Question - after she lands at JFK where will she park?
    Any chance of a pic for us regular slobs without ramp pals to get a shot somewhere?
    "my finger on the shutter button, while my eye is over my shoulder"

about 700 feet west of runway 14-32 in Farmingdale
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingColors View Post
    Any chance of a pic for us regular slobs without ramp pals to get a shot somewhere?
    While I don't have any concrete info, I read somewhere that it would be in a hangar, it most likely will not be outside very long. They don't want it exposed, so any shots would have be taken rather soon after it has landed. Of course there should be opportunities to see it being removed from the SCA with some rather large cranes - at least one could hope!

It's a shame that the weather sucks for Monday, I was planning to keep my kids home so that they could see it live, something that can't be done on Wednesday due to state tests, but I'll be there!

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingColors View Post
    Mostly likely Hangar 19.
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

it will sit on top of the 747 for 1 to 2 weeks while they prep for removal...they need to move equipment from DC to NYC to get the Job done...then it will sit alone in hangar (NOT NAMING IT HERE) for move to Intrepid.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Hanger 12 area.

I honestly can't believe some of the articles I've been reading as of late. They are seriously, going to take a space shuttle, one of only a small number out there, an aviation treasure...going to plunk it on an old, cramped ship floating in a river that's not known for upkeeping it's aircraft fleet very well (Concorde's nose falling off, anyone?)....and throwing bubble wrap over it. And plan to 'eventually' build a facility on this ship(!?!?!) for it if they ever get the funds. Unbelievable.

How is anyone thinking this is a good idea? Think beyond 'oh goody, we get a space shuttle!' First you have the fact that it's a VERY disrespectful thing to do to the orbiter in the name of a slightly higher assumed tourist count, but it's also really going to look ugly on the ship when you think about it. The ship isn't that big to begin with, and now they want to add a DC-9 sized aircraft with a -building- around it? ON the ship? So, good bye flight deck as it will have been, there is going to be a -building- over the back end of it?
    Last edited by Perriwen; 2012-04-20 at 01:57 PM.

We understand, you're upset you aren't getting a shuttle in Texas, but, please, enough!

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    We understand, you're upset you aren't getting a shuttle in Texas, but, please, enough!
    At least we had a facility ready for it...

Seriously, you should check the aviation forums out there. Everyone else out there sees this for what it is-a very, very, very, very, VERY horrible idea. And that's people all over the country. And honestly, I'm over it not coming to Texas, but what they are planning on doing to this spacecraft is indefensible. You do NOT take something like this and just 'plunk it down and throw bubble wrap over it'.
    Last edited by Perriwen; 2012-04-20 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Perriwen View Post
    You do NOT take something like this and just 'plunk it down and throw bubble wrap over it'.
    Can you point me to a source for the "bubble wrap" claims? From the Intrepid's web site, they say:
    ...placed on the flight deck of the Intrepid where it will be on exhibit to the public starting this summer in a temporary climate-controlled pavilion that will feature innovative elements in an exciting and immersive experience for visitors.
    Apparently, NASA is satisfied with the plans, or they wouldn't be giving it to the Intrepid.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    Can you point me to a source for the "bubble wrap" claims? From the Intrepid's web site, they say:

Apparently, NASA is satisfied with the plans, or they wouldn't be giving it to the Intrepid.
    Yeah, I have a source. Your own local paper.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/19/ny...-out.html?_r=2

Now, Mr. Woods’s staff must erect an all-weather tent, 56 feet tall, on the aft of the flight deck....Once the shuttle is in place, Mr. Woods said, the tent — similar to the bubbles that cover some tennis courts — will be raised over it. By July, he said, the museum hopes to start selling tickets for entry into an exhibit designed around Enterprise that will cost about $3 million to build.

In regards to NASA being 'satisfied' with the plans, they signed the shuttle over to them back in September, when it sounded like a facility would be built and ready for the shuttle. I've heard some call it the 'bait and switch'.

What exactly is wrong with a bubble?

Quote Originally Posted by eric8669 View Post
    What exactly is wrong with a bubble?
    You're seriously okay with one of only four space shuttles in the world having a tent thrown over it while the owners 'hope' to eventually build something more permanent? AND having a historical carrier with a 50-foot structure covering 1/4 the ship?

Up to me, I'd keep that shuttle in a hanger at JFK or Kennedy until they built a proper, permanent location. This just seems lazy, rushed, and sloppy.