Page 16 of 54 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Shuttle Enterprise to New York April 23rd, 2012

Lots said here and much misinformation.

First, Enterprise is NOT a mockup by any means. It didn't go into space but it did take to the air for all kinds of landing tests that paved the way for a safer shuttle program. It's my second favorite shuttle, and a youtube search will show you some kickass Enterprise moments.

Was Intrepid responsible for Concorde's nose? YES. They knew who they chose to watch it, how much security to have there, and its specific location, which is what led to its ability to be clipped. They allowed the nose to hang over an active roadway...simple as that.

Does the Intrepid have a reputation for mishandling their displays and aircraft? YES, but the worst was years back and they renovated and refurbed all of their planes and improved that reputation.

With that, my opinions...

- Did NYC DESERVE it? I don't think so, but visibility and access to that masses DOES matter, so NYC got it.

- New Yorkers that complained about "not getting a real shuttle" are idiots. We're lucky we got one.

- However, Texans that are still upset need to get over it.

- Is the Intrepid's sole goal to make money? I think so. Visiting the Intrepid for 2 people costs just shy of $50, and that doesn't even include access to the Concorde. You can almost breeze through museum in 30 minutes otherwise.

- I don't think highly of them as an organization by any means, and NYCA's interaction with them during this shuttle process has further enforced my views.

Perriwen, though I agree with your views about where shuttles went, I think your views about the tent and such are highly biased and it comes across in the words you use that bend some facts. I think you came across with attitude and I think you received a fair response from rational people here. BUT, don't think that we (NYers) will allow Enterprise to be mistreated. We (NYCA especially) WILL call out Intrepid on EVERY misstep. I promise you that I'll be keeping a close eye.

I will officially say that I regret using NYCA to obtain signatures for Intrepid to get a Space Shuttle.

Intrepid needs to understand that this isn't THEIR shuttle, but EVERYONE'S. We all paid for it and celebrated, cried and love it. I wonder what their admision fees will become now.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post

Perriwen, though I agree with your views about where shuttles went, I think your views about the tent and such are highly biased and it comes across in the words you use that bend some facts. I think you came across with attitude and I think you received a fair response from rational people here. BUT, don't think that we (NYers) will allow Enterprise to be mistreated. We (NYCA especially) WILL call out Intrepid on EVERY misstep. I promise you that I'll be keeping a close eye.
    I'm sorry for the attitude, but, I had just read the articles about it and was pretty darned steamed. Not only about the shuttle, but for the Intrepid as well and how the ship will look with a tent covering the aft end of the deck and apparently the arresting cables. I was at least expecting them to have a separate barge for all that.

The original plan called for a glass dome on the pier (and I think what was truly presented to NASA), but I think this is part of Intrepid's preference to not have it visible from public areas unless you've paid to go inside.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

The original plan called for a glass dome on the pier (and I think what was truly presented to NASA), but I think this is part of Intrepid's preference to not have it visible from public areas unless you've paid to go inside.
    Yeah...and that's honestly one of the thing I think is going to be train wreck for expectations, one being the 'pay extra to see the shuttle' where other museums include the shuttle with everything else. (Again, Air and Space museum is free admission to both buildings, and Kennedy is $45 a person plus a whole host of other stuff including a bus tour included.) The other being it seems to kind of ruin the experience of being on a carrier if you build an extra structure on the flight deck. It goes from 'what this would look like at sea' to something else entirely. Especially if it's on the spot where you'd usually say 'wow, THIS is all the space a pilot has to land on?'

But, what can you do. They're gonna do what they're gonna do.

Quote Originally Posted by Perriwen View Post
    One is going to be scrapped for parts for the remaining SCA, and that SCA will be used for spare parts for the SOFIA airborne observatory.

It's already a common Wings Over Houston visitor, anyway.

As for deserving it...how do you deserve it just as much as the very place everyone who flew on it communicated back to earth to (Mission Control Houston) and the place where the people who flew it lived and trained? NYC built a small part of the shuttle. Houston is the place that the shuttle crews depended on to make the missions work.
    So you should get a communications satellite or an antenna or a microphone or something then... maybe a large screen TV for the museum?
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    So you should get a communications satellite or an antenna or a microphone or something then... maybe a large screen TV for the museum?
    Depends, would you be willing to take a wing bolt since Grumman made the wings and give up the shuttle?

If the answer is 'no', you should know better than to say something like that.

Regardless, given that we have an authentic Saturn V and an authentic Apollo command module that went around the moon and you don't, I think the score is even. ;)
    Last edited by Perriwen; 2012-04-21 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Perriwen View Post
    Depends, would you be willing to take a wing bolt since Grumman made the wings and give up the shuttle?

If the answer is 'no', you should know better than to say something like that.
    Perriwen, look, I am simply having fun at your expense. Seriously, you make it too easy to bust your balls ... Whenever you're in NYC, come hang with the crew at JFK and we will show you a heck of a great time. Then we will visit the new Shuttle Exhibit at Intrepid and bust your balls some more, all in good fun... and we will still love ya!

So, nya nya nya nya nya Cheers!
    Manny Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    Perriwen, look, I am simply having fun at your expense. Seriously, you make it too easy to bust your balls ... Whenever you're in NYC, come hang with the crew at JFK and we will show you a heck of a great time. Then we will visit the new Shuttle Exhibit at Intrepid and bust your balls some more, all in good fun... and we will still love ya!

So, nya nya nya nya nya Cheers!
    I know, I'm messing with you too. :P

Someday I may get back up there, I've already been up there twice. Neither trip included Intrepid, though. It was a guided tour and they just went past the ship without even uttering a word about it. Like wise, you should come and hang out in Houston sometime. Then I can bust your balls about us having the Saturn V and Apollo 17 command module. :D Going around the moon DOES trump glide tests....

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    We all paid for it and celebrated, cried and love it. I wonder what their admision fees will become now.
    Cried???

http://youtu.be/g2jAwiq6YsE

;)

In all seriousness, Perriwen, as Manny said, just playing. Honestly, this forum is leaps beyond a certain blue site. Some great camaraderie here.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Alright then...that was was fun...
    Now......
    Without further delay back to our regular irregular program.

For the record, what day is this thing coming in?!
    "my finger on the shutter button, while my eye is over my shoulder"

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingColors View Post
    Alright then...that was was fun...
    Now......
    Without further delay back to our regular irregular program.

For the record, what day is this thing coming in?!
    My guess would be Wednesday, given that the winds will be calm and they want as many people as possible to see it...
    You will never know what you will be capable of until you try

My guess would be Wednesday also, especially since that was the rain date posted on the TRACON notification. Anyway, hopefully they'll post an official update by tomorrow.

Prediction: Wednesday
    Effed Up Prediction: Tuesday
    Sad Prediction: The 30th
    Manny Gonzalez

My Source says it is WED
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".