Page 19 of 54 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Shuttle Enterprise to New York April 23rd, 2012

It's Long Island, Manny, we don't need no stinkin' public transportation! There are about half a dozen stations within a couple of miles of the Cradle, with Carle Place being the closest, more than a mile away. There may be some bus service, as Nassau Community College is right next door, and I do see county buses there, but I don't know how convenient it is.

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar
    Based on this TFR from ZNY, it appears that the Shuttle flight has been rescheduled for Wednesday, April 25th:
    http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_2_5447.html
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Notice!

Hopefully the weather holds up this time. Holding my breath for the official announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1 View Post
    True. The Concorde was kept in Brooklyn at Aviator Sports Complex in deplorable conditions. Day camps used her to play handball off her frame. Birds were allowed to defecate and nest in her engine nacelles. The promise to allowe visitors aboard never materialized. One night, a bus from a Jamaican festival clipped the nose and left it there. The radome was finally replaced by British Airways but nobody has any information about the repairs. Was it the same radome or a new one? If a new one, what happened to the original? What happened to the 3 Olympus 393 engines? One is on display at the Intrepid; where are the others?
    Hey Speedbird... can you imagine if the Shuttle slips off the barge and into the Bay? That would top the concorde losing its nose wouldn't it? I can imagine the headlines... could probably only be topped by "Hindenburg explodes on the deck of the Titanic"
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Quote Originally Posted by Perriwen View Post
    Yeah...and that's honestly one of the thing I think is going to be train wreck for expectations, one being the 'pay extra to see the shuttle' where other museums include the shuttle with everything else. (Again, Air and Space museum is free admission to both buildings, and Kennedy is $45 a person plus a whole host of other stuff including a bus tour included.) The other being it seems to kind of ruin the experience of being on a carrier if you build an extra structure on the flight deck. It goes from 'what this would look like at sea' to something else entirely. Especially if it's on the spot where you'd usually say 'wow, THIS is all the space a pilot has to land on?'

But, what can you do. They're gonna do what they're gonna do.
    Yeah, but "other museums" were never featured in a Cher video....
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Turner View Post
    Hey Speedbird... can you imagine if the Shuttle slips off the barge and into the Bay? That would top the concorde losing its nose wouldn't it?
    NO...Imagine if the Shuttle knocks the nose off the Concorde while they hoist it into position on the Intrepid!
    +++++1970-2006+++++
    Tomcats Forever, Baby!

Quote Originally Posted by MORS-AB-ALTO View Post
    NO...Imagine if the Shuttle knocks the nose off the Concorde while they hoist it into position on the Intrepid!
    Things would come full circle...and some people's heads would literally explode! You know, i might pay good money to see that!

Quote Originally Posted by MORS-AB-ALTO View Post
    Or if they drop the shuttle onto the Concorde...which then sinks the barge dragging them both down with it, and the Concorde's nose gets knocked off by a structure as they go bluby-blubblub.

Of course, the bubble wrap on the shuttle will protect it...

I'm impatient! Everyone think it will be Wednesday?

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Waiting on official word from NASA!

I have the ferry flight status page open:
    http://spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/ferry/status.html

And even though it says Text updates will appear automatically; there is no need to reload the page. I keep hitting refresh every 2 minutes...

Quote Originally Posted by emshighway View Post

Does anyone know if this flight plan is true to what will happen? I'm most interested in the approach from North to South before lining up with Rwy 31L.

If this happens the route will fly directly over Nassau Colliseum and my office! I will have a front row seat from RXR Plaza!
    Passengers should NEVER leave babies in an infant carrier while it goes through the X-ray machine"
    --TSA.GOV website

If the weather cooperates as forecasters expect, the space shuttle Enterprise will take her piggyback ferryflight ride from Dulles International Airport outside the nation's capital to the John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York City on Wednesday morning.
    So sayeth Spaceflight Now
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"