Page 48 of 54 FirstFirst ... 38444546474849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: Shuttle Enterprise to New York April 23rd, 2012

about 700 feet west of runway 14-32 in Farmingdale
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
    Joe, Thanks for the info. I see the roads on Mapquest and wanted to know if it's the lot
    on the North side or South side of Joseph Hock Memorial Drive and if the entrance is off
    the South Service Rd. or JHMD ?? Thanks again !

It's on the South side of Joseph Hock MD, a lot of vans were parked there. There were no signs stating that you couldn't park there, we even inquired with the people operating the vans if it was OK and they didn't seem to care. We parked, took several shots, and then walked down to the pedestrian overpass to get closer images.

about 700 feet west of runway 14-32 in Farmingdale
    The shots taken from the rear, were taken from the service rd a little further down. For these, we parked on the North bound side close to the entrance. You are not allowed to legally park there. We parked, snapped a few images and moved on. Airport security didn't seem to mind us being there, as there were several cars parked at this location, although NYPD chased everyone away. You only need a minute or so to snap a few images, if police are there, drive around for a minute or two and try again. Please remember that we were there on the Saturday after it arrived, which was two weeks ago, so other than the shuttles location, things may have changed with regards to security. From reading the above posts, there are now cranes there that may or may not be blocking the view, I haven't been back, so I can't confirm or deny this. Please post your images if you go.

Shuttle still at Hangar

I again visited the Orbiter yesterday and had no problems except for strong winds. I stayed well-over an hour to view from different locations. I noticed a lot of activity; especially going up and down the stairs leading to the SCA cabin. The cranes were not blocking the view at all as 1 was on the Bay side. Those wishing to see this should visit ASAP. Enjoy. She might leave shortly.

I saw a security lady chase-away a guy who wanted to use the parking lot. Maybe you need to show an ID. I was on-foot. I was too shy to ask if I could enter the parking area. I have no car so the public bus let me off right by the overpass where nobody bothered me. Try to take the bus to avoid problems.

I dont have any official word on anything but from the looks of things, the cranes have been set up and I would say it will be taken off early next week.
    "You above all"

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    It's on the South side of Joseph Hock MD, a lot of vans were parked there. There were no signs stating that you couldn't park there, we even inquired with the people operating the vans if it was OK and they didn't seem to care. We parked, took several shots, and then walked down to the pedestrian overpass to get closer images.
    Thanks for the info Joe.!
    I'm still hoping to get in there, but not sure if I'll be able to catch before they crane if off the SCA.

Just back from JFK on a BEAUTIFUL day. And what an easy time. I pulled up to the bus stop cutout under the bridge, jumped out and grabbed a few shots through the fence. Then other cars pulled up and I saw no PAPD or security around or coming up the road so I walked quickly up the bridge and took a few more pics. When I got back to my car more and more vehicles were pulling up parking on the road and even on the zebra stripes including SUVs, Town cars and even a private bus. Still no PD. I drove south, took a U-turn then drove into the Port Authority lot near the GA terminal. There was covering over the fence but large pieces had been ripped open to allow head on shots. While I was there I heard a siren whooping by the area I was just at and a PA announcement to move the cars. But by the time I left and did another quick ride for one last look the PD were gone and vehicles were once again massing in the area. I guess they werent hassling so much since it wasnt the main road and most people were stopping quickly to take their pictures and leave.
    Very cool to see the aircraft up close and personal.

Passed by the shuttle on the way home this evening and the space shuttle/SCA were moved (not under the de-icing tent anymore). They are situated more or less where it sat when it arrived, and with the cranes near by. Something tells me that the removal of the shuttle will be sooner than later. I plan on passing through later tonight to see if there is any thing doing.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Quote Originally Posted by Zee71 View Post
    . Something tells me that the removal of the shuttle will be sooner than later. I plan on passing through later tonight to see if there is any thing doing.
    A birdie whispered time to dismount this evening. Anything?

The little birdie that originally said Monday has changed his mind. It won't be Monday as originally rumored
    Last edited by fk6065; 2012-05-12 at 11:09 PM.
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

FYI, Eyewitness News just announced that they will be craning the Shuttle off the SCA on Sunday.

Remember Sunday starts at midnight
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

Eric and I are at the field and the shuttle is in the process of being removed off the SCA
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

what fun night. tired. pics and video later today. watching the whole de-mating was very interesting.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

Had a feeling they'd de-mate the Shuttle late at night. For some reason, they didn't want the public to view. I recall they likewise moved the Concorde very early in the morning several years back. Is the SCA still at JFK or did it leave? It's needed to transport the final Orbiter to LAX. Was the Orbiter returned under the tent to protect it from the rain forecasted for today? Glad I saw this amazing sight for the final time for me on Thurs. Saw lots of action then around the 747.