Page 21 of 54 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Shuttle Enterprise to New York April 23rd, 2012

I'm not liking the current forecast for Wednesday. Around 11am looks like 20% chance of precip with 14MPH winds from the west with 76% cloud cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike View Post
    So, if the North proposal/plan would happen, is it true that JFK would only get the landing, no fly by? In the first post with the plan it mentions JFK getting both flyby and landing no matter what, is that not happening now?
    Considering they did about four extra low approaches at IAD, there's no telling what they will end up doing when they get to JFK.

Quote Originally Posted by jlaico1 View Post
    You will have a nice view the only thing that can foul you up is the smoke plumes that come out of the COVANTA incinerator. They are located right next door to Nick Falzone and the crew at N90.

I'm thinking about planting myself somewhere near the Eisenhower Park Special Activities Building or the parking lot across the street as I have been shut out at KJFK.
    Not a bad idea, but maybe the coliseum parking lot will be better? What time is this expected to go down?

I also saw the forecast. for Wed. and it's not good. Besides the 20% chance of rain, I'm also concerned about the cloud cover and the gusty WSW winds shifting to the NW. Hope we don't have to endure
    another delay . The Thurs. forecast is not much better. Fri. looks OK. Strange, because until last week, NYC had vivid blue skies everyday. How will we know if there's another delay tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1 View Post
    How will we know if there's another delay tomorrow?
    NASA is holding a flight review meeting this morning, and they will update the status after that. Stay tuned...

What is the purpose if there's a JFK fly-by? Is it to check wind and ceiling conditions? On 1 map, it shows 2 fly-bys over the Statue, when she flies north over the Hudson and then after returning before turning west to EWR. Now, they expect a weather problem on Thurs. morning, Remember all the vivid blue skies we had last week and warm temps? Now we pay the price!

My guess is Friday, forecast looks very very good.

Not liking the KJFK TAF:

KJFK 241131Z 2412/2518 23018G26KT P6SM SCT025 BKN040
    FM241300 23022G29KT P6SM SCT070 SCT150
    FM241800 21025G32KT P6SM BKN070
    FM242300 24019G26KT P6SM BKN070
    FM250300 25012KT P6SM SCT120
    FM251300 27016G23KT P6SM SCT025 BKN050
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

Quote Originally Posted by puckstopper55 View Post
    Not a bad idea, but maybe the coliseum parking lot will be better? What time is this expected to go down?
    Jlaico,

This is awesome news. I take it that 'N90' refers to the NY Tracon over by Stewart Ave? I work in the west tower of RXR Plaza on the 8th floor, which gives me sweeping views of NYC skyline and the Colisseum parking lot. IF they cut inside of the incinerator and aim for the colisseum to head south for the 31L final, then I will have a front row seat. IF the stay right over the Tracon and the park I'll have to walk over to the north side of the office for the head on view till it disappears over the roof.

If there is an approx time then I can run outside. I wonder if the folks at the Cradle museum know this is going down right over their heads!
    Passengers should NEVER leave babies in an infant carrier while it goes through the X-ray machine"
    --TSA.GOV website

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Seeing tweets that it's gonna be Friday but nothing from NASA. Can anybody advise?

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    Considering they did about four extra low approaches at IAD, there's no telling what they will end up doing when they get to JFK.
    We got two Flyby's, one at the very beginning, one at the end, and then the full stop landing. I'm not sure if they'll be able to interrupt JFK Ops with 2 flybys and the landing...

Quote Originally Posted by NickPeterman View Post
    We got two Flyby's, one at the very beginning, one at the end, and then the full stop landing. I'm not sure if they'll be able to interrupt JFK Ops with 2 flybys and the landing...
    I don't see why they couldn't. Afterall, the time period that the shuttle/sca is due to arrive during is the "slow period" of the day at JFK. Well, at least as far as my experiences go there..
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Quote Originally Posted by wunaladreamin View Post
    Seeing tweets that it's gonna be Friday but nothing from NASA. Can anybody advise?
    Anyone???

No update on the Ferry Flight page: http://spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/ferry/status.html

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    No update on the Ferry Flight page: http://spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/ferry/status.html
    yeah....I've had page open all morning and eventhough it says it updates automatically, I find myself refreshing the page every 3 mins. Definitely getting anxious for some info..
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net