Page 8 of 54 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Shuttle Enterprise to New York April 23rd, 2012

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Gordon, the Monument shot is ridiculous!

Quote Originally Posted by wunaladreamin View Post
    I will be at Bayswater with my contingent but you can't go wrong with Inwood either. I really want that tower shot.
    I'll be there with you.

Well, today at IAD they gave us a SECOND unexpected fly-by after she came back from D.C. passes. Then the landing shot... so if we get lucky, we may have time for HoBe as well as Bayswater... But this will depend if they pass JFK first or not. At IAD they STARTED at IAD and then went downtown then passed IAD again and then landed...
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Hectic weekend! I'll be in Boston on Sunday to catch the first JAL 787 flight, then drive down to NYC for the Shuttle arrival. It is still April 23rd St Georges Day? Planning on booking a hotel close to JFK and travel down late Sunday! Much easier than falling out of bed at Oh dark thirty and riding down from Rhode Island on Monday. Guess plans to travel on the first MBTA train out of Wickford Junction to PVD Airport are off the table! See some of you Monday!! - Geoff
    For Providence area information I am your man!

Has it been confirmed that the arrival of the Shuttle will be on Rwy 31L? Any chance she will use the VOR 13R Approach? I live near that approach and have no car so Bayswater is impossible for me.

I was planning to spot at Coney Island or from Battery Park. I can't be in both places at once. If she flies over the Statue, then Battery Park would be best. If she flies by the VZ Bridge as she did on June 10, 1983, then Coney Island would be best; especially if she uses the VOR 13R approach. We won't know in advance so it's a crap-shoot. Good luck to us all!

The chances that they will fly that crazy-assed curved VOR 13 approach with the shuttle on top are almost zero...I'd say they are zero, but you never say never. If yesterday's flight into IAD is any guide, they are going to close down the airspace around NYC and let them go pretty much anywhere they want. If for some reason they need to land on 13, they will fly a straight in to the runway. As I said to someone upthread - read reply 18 in this thread, you'll see it's not the crapshoot you think it is.

Bad news I hate to report. The weather service predicta a soaking rain all day Monday and even into Tuesday. What will the plans be due to inclement weather? I planned to sit at Battery Park to view the fly-by over Lower Manhattan and the Statue. It was a sure thing unlike the JFK runway used and approach. After all, the Statue cannot be moved while the arrival approach is variable. I vividly recall the disappointment when we wasted time waiting for the final Concorde arrival. I got zero pictures and we got harrassed by the Port Authority.

My plan is
    1. Not to listen to the weatherman
    2. Do not plan on the weatherman's forecast
    3. If talking to a weatherman tell him I like to watch paint dry....

Why would you believe a forecast that is 5 days away???
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Just saw on NY1, the Intrepid is removing many of the historic aircraft on their flight deck and sending them to a museum upstate. I was hoping they could be placed on the pier near Concorde or put across 12th Ave. It seems bewilderimg that the museum would get rid of aircraft which was part of aviation history for a prototype orbiter which never had engines or controls and never entered the stratosphere. Hope the Blackbird and Harrier are still on exhibit.

Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    My plan is

Well, I hope the dismal weather forecasts get better for Monday also, BUT if it does
    happen to stay the same I just hope they won't wait until late on Sunday to announce
    any delays in the arrival schedule so that everyone can still adjust their plans accordingly !!

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Would there be a rain date or something for this or is this going to be a day to day decision type of thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    My plan is

what if it was an Al Roker weather-report?

stiiiiiiiiiiirs the pot
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

We are also calling for rain down here at Dulles on Monday. with Tuesday appearing to be the first dry day in the schedule. Don't count anything out, though, as we were calling for rain at IAD until a few days out.

Oh what to do?????
    "my finger on the shutter button, while my eye is over my shoulder"