Page 12 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Shuttle Enterprise to New York April 23rd, 2012

Maybe we can start a separate thread for this discussion and keep focused on info semi-pertinent to Enterprise's arrival?

Quote Originally Posted by NickPeterman View Post
    Maybe we can start a separate thread for this discussion and keep focused on info semi-pertinent to Enterprise's arrival?
    It was originally with info and opinion on what they were planning to do with the shuttle once it arrived. Then people started in with the 'oh, you're just a jealous Texan' junk out of arrogant assumptions and bias. >.<

and of you think it's just us Texas, count the number of positive opinions: http://www.fencecheck.com/forums/ind...c,24409.0.html
    Last edited by Perriwen; 2012-04-20 at 03:35 PM.

@IntrepidMuseum:

Enterprise flight to NYC postponed until further notice due to unfavorable weather forecast for 4/23. Details to follow.
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

But here is where I get confused. Regardless of what you, me, or anyone thinks, the Enterprise IS coming to NYC and the Intrepid. Arguing about it is simply going to make people mad, and to what end? NASA did the best job they could ensuring the Shuttles went to diverse, geographically separated, and well prepared locales. To have had them all on the Eastern Seaboard or all at NASA/US Government museums would have seemed unjust. Many bid, and a few won.

NASA would never let Enterprise arrive in NYC if they weren't confident of its safety in its future home.

Quote Originally Posted by Perriwen View Post
    At least we had a facility ready for it...

Seriously, you should check the aviation forums out there. Everyone else out there sees this for what it is-a very, very, very, very, VERY horrible idea. And that's people all over the country. And honestly, I'm over it not coming to Texas, but what they are planning on doing to this spacecraft is indefensible. You do NOT take something like this and just 'plunk it down and throw bubble wrap over it'.
    As much as I love it, and respect it, in the end, it is just a piece of metal and parts, not a human being... sometimes we must weigh the balance of life. A national treasure yes, Mt Rushmore? I am not so sure... so no need to get too crazy about it. I believe what's being done is plenty good. Imagine the EXPOSURE it would get in the Intrepid vs elsewhere in the US (tourism) and not to mention NY has a seriously rich aviation history not to be forgotten or messed with so we deserve it just as much as anyone else!

BTW, where are the SCAs destined for? I would hope one goes to Boeing... ;-)
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Sorry out-of-towners. Can any of you reschedule for Wednesday?

A conceptual rendering of how Space Shuttle Enterprise will be displayed on Intrepid’s flight deck, beginning Summer 2012.

I think its a nice display....

One SCA (The former JAL 747-100SR) is being parted out to support the one currently in service, and the SOFIA (747SP with onboard telescope). The other will supposedly be retained as the crew training aircraft for SOFIA. I would have loved to see the SCA+Discovery/Atlantis/Endeavor displayed somewhere. Imagine how impressive it would be to walk in to a hangar and be greeted with that!

Maybe they could park the SCA in Houston?

@IntrepidMuseum Enterprise flight to NYC postponed until further notice due to unfavorable weather forecast for 4/23. Details to follow. #intrepidshuttle
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    As much as I love it, and respect it, in the end, it is just a piece of metal and parts, not a human being... sometimes we must weigh the balance of life. A national treasure yes, Mt Rushmore? I am not so sure... so no need to get too crazy about it. I believe what's being done is plenty good. Imagine the EXPOSURE it would get in the Intrepid vs elsewhere in the US (tourism) and not to mention NY has a seriously rich aviation history not to be forgotten or messed with so we deserve it just as much as anyone else!

BTW, where are the SCAs destined for? I would hope one goes to Boeing... ;-)
    One is going to be scrapped for parts for the remaining SCA, and that SCA will be used for spare parts for the SOFIA airborne observatory.

It's already a common Wings Over Houston visitor, anyway.

As for deserving it...how do you deserve it just as much as the very place everyone who flew on it communicated back to earth to (Mission Control Houston) and the place where the people who flew it lived and trained? NYC built a small part of the shuttle. Houston is the place that the shuttle crews depended on to make the missions work.
    Last edited by Perriwen; 2012-04-20 at 04:44 PM.

According to some, that's the attitude that ultimately cost Houston the Shuttle

http://waynehale.wordpress.com/2011/...get-a-shuttle/

According to some, that's the attitude that ultimately cost Houston the Shuttle

http://waynehale.wordpress.com/2011/...get-a-shuttle/
    And the New Yorkers think they're displaying a better attitude?

"We deserve it because we're NYC!!"

"We have more people than you, so we deserve it more!!"

"You Texans are just saying that because you're jealous!"

"Haha, we're getting it and you're not!"

Look in the mirror before you bring up 'attitude'.

Look, Perriwen,

I am not a New Yorker, never have been, never will be. As for attitude. I've no need to look in the mirror. I pointed out a link that had been posted on a page you yourself linked to. Think about it, you chose NYC Aviation to blast the selection of NYC for a Shuttle, and then got angry when the people there didn't take it well. It was just asking for a fight.

Lets just all agree to let this stop here.

Look, Perriwen,
    Think about it, you chose NYC Aviation to blast the selection of NYC for a Shuttle, and then got angry when the people there didn't take it well. It was just asking for a fight.
    No....

I blasted what they planned to do WITH the shuttle once they had it, and have a fair amount of disgust for the choice they made as it does not seem like a very respectful one. THEY came in with the 'Aw, you're just a jealous Texan' crap instead of civily discussing that choice, which asked for the fight as soon as they got personal based on where I lived.

Honestly, I couldn't care less where Enterprise goes. If I'm gonna see a shuttle, I'm going to see one that actually flew in space. But that doesn't mean I can't be ticked at how they choose to display Enterprise.
    Last edited by Perriwen; 2012-04-20 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Perriwen View Post
    You're seriously okay with one of only four space shuttles in the world having a tent thrown over it while the owners 'hope' to eventually build something more permanent? AND having a historical carrier with a 50-foot structure covering 1/4 the ship?

Up to me, I'd keep that shuttle in a hanger at JFK or Kennedy until they built a proper, permanent location. This just seems lazy, rushed, and sloppy.
    Have you seen these bubble's, it will be fine. what's the difference what covers it, as long as its covered. A permanent location will come soon.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture