Page 24 of 54 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: Shuttle Enterprise to New York April 23rd, 2012

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    You know Tom, I can picture Perriwen sticking pins in a homemade rain cloud voodoo doll lol.

Quote Originally Posted by wunaladreamin View Post
    You know Tom, I can picture Perriwen sticking pins in a homemade rain cloud voodoo doll lol.
    HA! Yes, I can imagine that as well. :) It's funny, but I just deleted an email invitation to see Men In Black lll at an exclusive preview at the Intrepid! It's like Frank Sinatra sang... "Start Spreading the News..."
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Quote Originally Posted by emshighway View Post
    From the FAA:

Pluto 98/99/ T-38's will depart either Stewart (SWF) or Republic (FRG) and will be taking photographs of the SCA for the duration of the flight. The aircraft will hold at CHANT prior to engaging with SCA.

Any more info on this? FRG??

Have not seen nor heard a word.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Turner View Post
    HA! Yes, I can imagine that as well. :) It's funny, but I just deleted an email invitation to see Men In Black lll at an exclusive preview at the Intrepid! It's like Frank Sinatra sang...

Underneath the MIB invite they had the 27th as the tentative Shuttle arrival date. According to the their Shuttle page, the flyover will occur soon after 10am.

http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/shuttle/

I'm hoping for Saturday. That would be so sweeeeet.

George

Saturday would be absolutely awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by gpalz1 View Post
    Underneath the MIB invite they had the 27th as the tentative Shuttle arrival date. According to the their Shuttle page, the flyover will occur soon after 10am.
    That works for me. I'll be at The Battery then can head up to work.

Passed by the field this afternoon on the way home from work, and they were setting a few tents and bleachers by the de-icing tent.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Quote Originally Posted by ch2tdriver View Post
    Jlaico,

This is awesome news. I take it that 'N90' refers to the NY Tracon over by Stewart Ave? I work in the west tower of RXR Plaza on the 8th floor, which gives me sweeping views of NYC skyline and the Colisseum parking lot. IF they cut inside of the incinerator and aim for the colisseum to head south for the 31L final, then I will have a front row seat. IF the stay right over the Tracon and the park I'll have to walk over to the north side of the office for the head on view till it disappears over the roof.

If there is an approx time then I can run outside. I wonder if the folks at the Cradle museum know this is going down right over their heads!
    N90 is the TRACON facility. I'm fairly convinced that from your vantage point you will have a great view. I discussed with BigTim earlier today and my only concern would be photographing through the UV glass. Our eyes can filter the image, our cameras don't do as good a job.

If all you are interested in is seeing then I think you have a great spot. If you are looking for the perfect photo you might want to move to a different spot.

As far as a time I would keep the NASA TV feed going on the work computer or some other mobile device and after the low pass a KLGA I would get myself into position.

As a side not the Cradle is overly silent on this, as a member I expected some sort of communication and I have received nothing as of yet.

I can't wait to see this. Saw it in 1982 when I was a wee little boy and I've been captivated by it ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by wunaladreamin View Post
    Nah, too simple. I'd do something with the GPS voodoo doll to lead them out over the Bermuda Triangle, then do a Bermuda Triangle voodoo doll to time jump them 100 years into the future. ;)

I'm down with Friday. I'm off from work anyways... :)

Saturday would be great but forecasters predict a chance of rain. Friday seems to be the day but things change. Of course, the Cradle Museum won't discuss this as it brings no publicity to their museum. Incidentally, what did the Cradle Museum do with the half-scale Times Square Concorde replica? I heard they hid it somewhere. For the record, Enterprise flew-over NYC back on June 10,1983 piggy-back aboard an SCA. She was returning from the 1983 Paris Air Show via Toronto. The sight was awesome as she flew by the VZ Bridge. I got goosebumps. She was showing-off America's lead in space exploration. Now, she's showing how we quit space exploration. Sad.

about 700 feet west of runway 14-32 in Farmingdale
    Of course it turned out to be a perfectly clear day today, albeit a little windy wind winds said to be in the 14MPH range. Friday's forecast calls for windier conditions, so we'll have to see if it happens. A weekend visit would be great as it would insure higher turnouts.

I think they are more concerned with the tempeatures during the flight up from DC and potential icing and that is one of the causes of the delays.

But getting back to the arrival, we are pretty much set on 31-L, where is everyone going to be? I am still debating between Inwood and Bayswater.

Inwood will offer the closest look at the arrival but you will only have it for a few seconds.

Bayswater is further but offers a little nicer background and the tower.

I know some people have said Bayswate for the tower shot any other opinions or plans?
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com