Page 23 of 54 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Shuttle Enterprise to New York April 23rd, 2012

The boss said as long as I send her photos she can show her kids, I'm good to go. Of course, I'm flying to CLT on Saturday, so they better do this on Friday!
    Last edited by moose135; 2012-04-24 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yankees368 View Post
    ARGHHHH!!!!!!!
    I second that!
    "my finger on the shutter button, while my eye is over my shoulder"

Friday is good. More time to charge my batteries. I'm retired so it doesn't really matter to me. Anyway the wind blows!

Crap crap crap is there any chance it could be mid-late afternoon on Friday? I could probably get to JFK by 3 after work but no sooner than that :( I'm personally hoping for a postponement to next week because I could go ANY day next week.

My boss is done with me changing, but now I dont know if I can get to JFK area before 9am... flight is from 9-11 right ?

Quote Originally Posted by sammers4247 View Post
    Crap crap crap is there any chance it could be mid-late afternoon on Friday? I could probably get to JFK by 3 after work but no sooner than that :( I'm personally hoping for a postponement to next week because I could go ANY day next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by DustinF View Post
    My boss is done with me changing, but now I dont know if I can get to JFK area before 9am... flight is from 9-11 right ?
    Correct, the arrival is tentatively scheduled to arrive between 9 and 11am.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Ah, it's out for me, then. :(

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Shall we start the pool on when the next reschedule is gonna be for? This is getting absurd

Quote Originally Posted by wunaladreamin View Post
    Shall we start the pool on when the next reschedule is gonna be for? This is getting absurd
    December 2, 2019
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Man this is seriously getting annoying. Email from intrepid:

Tomorrow’s planned arrival of the space shuttle Enterprise has been postponed due to deteriorating weather forecasts. Forecast scenarios by NASA meteorologists no longer meet the minimum requirements to guarantee that the shuttle can be safely transported to New York on Wednesday morning. The safety of this historic icon and of the aircrew transporting her must be our paramount concern, therefore NASA and Intrepid together decided that it is best to postpone the operation.

We hope to be able to bring the shuttle in as soon as weather permits, possibly on Friday. We will contact you as soon as NASA and we have determined that conditions will allow for this move.

We appreciate your support and understanding and look forward to seeing you at the arrival celebration welcoming space shuttle Enterprise to New York.
    You will never know what you will be capable of until you try

Nice! Maybe this thing will get delayed until I return to the area next week!

I can hope, can't I...

If they wanted as many people as possible to see the shuttle fly over the city they might as well have scheduled it for the weekend. Its really pointless to do something like this on a weekday. And lets just hope when people see a 747 thundering low over the city we don't have a repeat of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn0tMMYEkQU
    You will never know what you will be capable of until you try

I found a slideshow about the SCA on NASA's site: http://www.nasa.gov/externalflash/shuttlecarrier/

One thing I thought was interesting was the diagram of just where things will happen at JFK once they finally move the thing in here:

I'm looking forward to Friday. I'm gonna be down in Red Hook to try to shoot the SCA over the Statue.

Question: if I bring my scanner, where would I hear the traffic for this? Would it be on the Approach frequency, or JFK tower? How do they coordinate that kind of thing?

Quote Originally Posted by wunaladreamin View Post
    One more postponement and we'll just have to send this thing off to Texas!!
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Quote Originally Posted by alberchico View Post
    If they wanted as many people as possible to see the shuttle fly over the city they might as well have scheduled it for the weekend. Its really pointless to do something like this on a weekday. And lets just hope when people see a 747 thundering low over the city we don't have a repeat of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn0tMMYEkQU
    It's the strangest thing, because not long before this incident a B52 (yes a B52) came down low over the harbor and the statue executing a large turn (albeit not in front of the office buildings in downtown Manhattan as close as the President's 747), and then proceeded north above the Hudson. Never did see a mention in the media before or after that I could find. It just came and went.
    "Keep 'em Flying"