Page 9 of 54 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Shuttle Enterprise to New York April 23rd, 2012

From the FAA:
    NEW YORK TRACON SPECIAL EVENTS NOTIFICATION

TO: JFK, LGA, and EWR Areas, JFK, EWR, LGA and TEB Towers & TMU
    (FYI LIB and ISP Areas)

WHEN: Monday, April 23, 2012, @1430Z (1030 lcl)
    Rain Date Wednesday, April 25, 2012 @1430Z (1030 lcl)

WHAT: Pluto 95/B747 Shuttle Carrier Aircraft (SCA)

REMARKS: Pluto 95/B747,the Shuttle Carrier Aircraft (SCA, a B-747 with the Space Shuttle Enterprise attached) will fly from Dulles Airport to JFK on Monday, April 23, 2012 at approximately 10:30 am. If weather should be below 3000’ and 5 miles, the mission will be postponed to Wednesday, April 25, 2012.

Maximum airspeed will be 250kts, maneuvers to be conducted at 200kts,
    maximum cross wind component 20kts.

Pluto 90/C-9 will depart IAD 30 minutes ahead of the B-747 in order to provide weather information along the route of flight, but will proceed to JFK and land without flying the proposed SCA route.

Pluto 98/99/ T-38's will depart either Stewart (SWF) or Republic (FRG) and will be taking photographs of the SCA for the duration of the flight. The aircraft will hold at CHANT prior to engaging with SCA.

SCA will arrive via the CAMRN FOUR ARRIVAL. CAMRN handoff to EMPYR, EMPYR point out to EWR, LGA and TEB towers.

SCA will fly north over the Hudson River @ 1,500', start a climb to 3,000' after the GWB so as to remain in the Class B. Aircraft will turn left at the Tappan Zee Bridge, join the Hudson River southbound at the Alpine Tower and descend to 1500’ over the Hudson.

Once past the Verrazano…

IF EWR IS ON 22’s (see attached PRIMARY PROPOSAL)

EMPYR will handoff to JFK area and SCA will proceed eastbound south of the shore at 1,500’ and overfly JFK’s RWY 31L. Flybys at each airport will be at 1000’ AGL.

JFK will handoff to EWR Departure, 4N 119.2 (point out to LGA), SCA will overfly the Statue of Liberty, (no lower than 1500’ AGL), then EWR’s RWY 29 at 1,000’.After the EWR flyby, the SCA will start a climbing right turn to 2,000’. Pass over TEB (NOT executing a flyby).

EWR handoff to LGA, SCA will overfly LGA RWY 13 at 1,000’, LGA handoff to JFK, SCA will climb to 2,000’ and be vectored to overfly N90 and then land JFK RWY 31L.

IF EWR IS ON 4’s (see attached NORTH FLOW PROPOSAL)
    Once past the Verrazano…

EMPYR will handoff to EWR, SCA will make a right turn to overfly EWR’s RWY 4R at 1,000’, continue north climbing to 2,000’ and make a right turn over TEB.
    (NOT executing a flyby).

EWR will hand off to LGA, SCA will overfly LGA’s RWY 13 at 1,000’.

LGA will hand off to JFK, SCA will climb to 2,000’ and be vectored to overfly N90 and then land at JFK RWY 31L.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Hoping the T-38's stage at FRG!

Great information. Thank you.

Thanks for the update, EMS!

After LGA - "...vectored and overfly N90"

Senior moment.... what is N90????

New York TRACON in Westbury

You guys could have wind gusts up to 30 Knots on Monday, which exceeds the SCA's profile for crosswinds. Just want to make sure y'all consider that and don't get surprised by a sudden landing on a non 31 runway due to crosswinds....

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    You sir, are my father. Thanks for all that info!

T-3 days until I get on the plane. Glad you guys understand all this flight plan, flight path VOR, IFR. I am just going to follow the smart kids around

Looks like we get a bonus c-9. Can't have to many DC-9's in my book.

And one question....Why are they using Pluto-95, Pluto-98 and Pluto-90 as the call signs?
    Jeremy in Minnesota

My pictures on jp.net

Well, if Pluto isn't allowed to be a planet anymore, it may as well be a call sign!

Interesting when you read the info EMS gave us there IS A RAINDATE!! Wed the 25th. And everywhere I look and read Monday is looking awful (yeah I know its 4 days away but....) and I believe NASA wants the BEST conditions for this special once in a lifetime event. And Wed looks a whole lot better!!

Quote Originally Posted by JDANDO View Post
    T-3 days until I get on the plane. Glad you guys understand all this flight plan, flight path VOR, IFR. I am just going to follow the smart kids around

Looks like we get a bonus c-9. Can't have to many DC-9's in my book.

And one question....Why are they using Pluto-95, Pluto-98 and Pluto-90 as the call signs?

At IAD, the DC-9 landed on a different runway than the Shuttle, and we got no shots. Just an FYI :(

GO ENTERPRISE !
    Last edited by chrisparypa; 2012-04-19 at 09:17 PM.
    Living The Dream...

Quote Originally Posted by NickPeterman View Post
    At IAD, the DC-9 landed on a different runway than the Shuttle, and we got no shots. Just an FYI :(
    I am taking bets on the DC-9 on 31L, I am just saying :P

I was hoping (as many others were too) for a 31L Canarsie climb... looks like straight to Statue so no left bank... Oh well..

APOLOGIES in advance to all my friends as I will be paying close attention to my scanner. No disrespect meant if I ignore your conversation
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by yankees368 View Post
    Well, if Pluto isn't allowed to be a planet anymore, it may as well be a call sign!
    LOL, totally agree with that

Well I hope things work out for you all, I hit up Dulles in the event that Monday would be a washout, and odds are looking like it might be. As I'll be leaving the area on Wednesday for a wedding, that would have totally ruined the opportunity to see the Shuttle.

Good luck guys, I would have LOVED to see the Space Shuttle land in my home town- get some kickass shots with the tower in the background!