Page 52 of 54 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354 LastLast

Thread: Shuttle Enterprise to New York April 23rd, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    Just give it a few weeks in that bubble wrap on the Intrepid, Phil...sorry, I didn't mean to go there.
    Its going to Jersey first.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    I wish Enterprise wasn't so....clean. haha
    Maybe Intrepid will put it in a garbage barge like they did with those old fighters.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by eric8669 View Post
    Its going to Jersey first.
    So it will be dirty and smell bad by the time it gets to the Intrepid - excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    So it will be dirty and smell bad by the time it gets to the Intrepid - excellent!
    If I could quote one of the NASA guys I spoke to "I'm eager to see how the Intrepid people are going to do this" From JFK to Barge #1 to Jersey where it will be put on Barge #2 then onto the intrepid. its suppose to be a three day journey.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

BTW, Do you know where in NJ it's going first ?? Bayonne ??

Quote Originally Posted by eric8669 View Post
    If I could quote one of the NASA guys I spoke to "I'm eager to see how the Intrepid people are going to do this" From JFK to Barge #1 to Jersey where it will be put on Barge #2 then onto the intrepid. its suppose to be a three day journey.
    Why can't barge number 2 simply be towed to JFK ? When the Concorde was barged in it was a straight trip from the airport to the carrier....
    You will never know what you will be capable of until you try

Barge #2 will be a barge will a very large crane. I don't believe barge #2 would be able to fit under the Cross Bay bridge (I'm not sure about the Gil Hodges bridge).
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

I guess I jumped the gun when I said they decided to do the disengagement at midnight to avoid an overflow of traffic. The theory of calmer winds at midnight makes sense. What I also noticed was that the 2 big NYC papers never sent their photographers out there as well; instead they published the same photos taken by the AP. In several months, I'm sure the Intrepid will issue a DVD showing everything we missed. My next concern is if the SCA has departed JFK yet.

Gil Hodges Bridge can easily be lifted-up at the center for the barge;like a drawbridge. The Cross Bay is a different story.
    Last edited by Speedbird1; 2012-05-15 at 09:08 AM.

My question as well. When Concorde was barged-over, she overnighted at Homeport in S.I. Bayonne seems logical.

Thanls for these rare photos of the disengagement. You guys are truly devoted to wait on thr bridge for hours in the darkness to see this amazing sight. I would have given-up and left as I did last Thursday. Did you happen to see where the SCA went after the procedure?

Great shots. Sorry I wasn't there but it's a 3 hour trip from my house and I wasn't sure if the movement would be Sat. night or early Sunday. Train travel on the A Train in the middke of the night is no picnic. As a senior citizen, I'm vulnerable. Thanks again for sharing these.

As for the move there are concerns about the height of the lower bridge that it has to go under. That is one reason why the landing gear wasn't lowered. They are going to have to wait for low tide and even then they will probably clear the bridge by inches, it is a very big concern.

The other concern is that Enterprise is just sitting outside after spending a large art of her life in a controlled enviornment. I realize it is under a tent but rain gets blown and humidity is everywhere.

SCA 905 is tentatively scheduled to depart on Friday, don't know the time, it will be going back to Edwards AFB and then on to its final mission with Endeavor in the fall.
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

Speedbird.....SCA is parked outside the tent (adjacent to the shuttle, which is inside the tent as Fred stated). I know the center span of the Gil Hodges bridge lifts, but I haven't seen that risen in eons!!! Definitely the challenge is going to be the Cross Bay bridge.

Below is the Low Tide information for the first few days of June:

June 1 - 12:19AM, 12:28PM
    June 2 - 1:16AM, 1:22PM
    June 3 - 2:12AM, 2:17PM
    June 4 - 3:07AM, 3:12PM
    June 5 - 4:00AM, 4:06PM
    June 6 - 4:51AM, 4:59PM
    June 7 - 5:04AM, 5:50PM
    June 8 - 6:29AM, 6:42PM
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Quote Originally Posted by Zee71 View Post
    Speedbird.....SCA is parked outside the tent (adjacent to the shuttle, which is inside the tent as Fred stated). I know the center span of the Gil Hodges bridge lifts, but I haven't seen that risen in eons!!! Definitely the challenge is going to be the Cross Bay bridge.

Below is the Low Tide information for the first few days of June:

June 1 - 12:19AM, 12:28PM
    June 2 - 1:16AM, 1:22PM
    June 3 - 2:12AM, 2:17PM
    June 4 - 3:07AM, 3:12PM
    June 5 - 4:00AM, 4:06PM
    June 6 - 4:51AM, 4:59PM
    June 7 - 5:04AM, 5:50PM
    June 8 - 6:29AM, 6:42PM
    The marine parkway bridge was actually risen a few times recently, apparently for construction. So I guess it must still work. Who knew.