Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Shuttle Enterprise to New York April 23rd, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    From what I was reading elsewhere, there are two issues with flying in the rain. The part you always hear about is rain damage to the tiles, and while that wouldn't be an issue for flying the shuttle again, it will could result in repairs being needed before it is put on display. The other issue, more important here, is that the tiles absorb water, and could cause issues with weight and CG on the SCA/Shuttle combo.
    Given that Enterprise was merely a glider and never an operational spacecraft (and has been in a museum for years), would it even have those tiles in the first place?

After Columbia's loss,they actually harvested part of the leading edge of Enterprise's wing for testing because it apparent does have all the accoutrements on the exterior. I guess you want your test article to be as realistic as possible.

It does have tiles, and you can see where they removed a section of the wing leading edge during the Columbia investigation.

I am not a rocket scientist, but I will be staying at a Holiday Inn during my visit....

I would think there was a grave concern that the ceramic tile is a porous material and rain/water would be absorbed into the tile structure. This would be come a problem as the shuttle enters space and the water either freezes, expanding and cracking the tiles; or the water boils off (again expansion) in the absence of any atmospheric pressure and could cause steam pops/fractures to the tiles.

I am hoping for sunny skies and warm temps so we do not have to worry about any of this on the 23rd!
    Jeremy in Minnesota

My pictures on jp.net

Enterprise does not have a genuine TPS (silica tiles). The tiles are foam replicas. When Enterprise was rolled out for the ALT's the TPS was still being perfected, nor was it required for the ALT's. Had NASA stuck to the original plan and refitted Enterprise for space flight, the TPS would have been added as well engines etc....

You may recall seing pics of Columbia in 1979 being flown from Palmdale to KSC with hundreds of tiles missing. They were having difficulty with the glues among other things with the TPS and needed to get Columbia to KSC ASAP. So they sent her unfinished and completed the job at KSC when they got the bugs worked out. But those photos is what gave the public the perception that the tiles would start to fly off the shuttle if one got loose.
    Passengers should NEVER leave babies in an infant carrier while it goes through the X-ray machine"
    --TSA.GOV website

Hi and the best wishes from Berlin Germany!

I/we fly next friday for shuttle arrival to JFK. "strange" ;-)

I have some question, does anybody knows the time of arrival or the expected runway?

Cheers and thanks for the help

Andre Oferta

10:30AM arrival
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by THX Express View Post
    ........expected runway?.....
    Andre Oferta
    My guess would be...."THE LONG ONE" ;) -Fred
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Quote Originally Posted by THX Express View Post
    I have some question, does anybody knows the time of arrival or the expected runway?
    Check out Reply #18 in this thread for some detailed information...

Ohh, my fault

I use www.suncalc.net to check the position of the sun and when they really use RWY31L the Shuttle/NASA 747 have the sunlight on the butt " in germany we use the word buttlight"

It is possible to catch the shuttle on the turn to RWY31L ???

Or any other ideas?
    Which position you prefer??

I/we would like to have perfect light conditions when the sun is shining!

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by njgtr82 View Post
    Hey guys wanted to pass on the plan for the shuttle. As of right now it will be starting off at the VZ north on the Hudson at 1500 feet for photos over the Statue then to the GWB making a 180 and either going to JFK for a low approach on 31L or making a right turn at the Statue to EWR for a low approach. If it does EWR first it it will then turn North over TEB then direct to LGA for a pass. I believe it will be at 1500' over both TEB and LGA. Then over to JFK. If they go to JFK after the run up the river it will do the low approach to 31L then direct EWR, then TEB, then LGA then to 31L for full stop. Either way JFK will get a low approach then the landing. I'm just wondering what altitude they will do the low approach at EWR at, I'm waiting to hear! Hope that wasn't too confusing.

Bill
    Thanks Bill!

Since it is all about the logistics and the above post is very confusing for the out-town-guy. Will JFK be the best photo op? Sounds like the "butt-light" is not ideal for a 1030 arrival would LGA afford better photo ops? Either that or it is time to get a boat or "Taco-copter"?
    Jeremy in Minnesota

My pictures on jp.net

definitely Taco Copter

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    I can't ****ing wait guys! I'll deal with butt light for this because with all the great info Bill hooked us up with, it doesn't say which rwy at LGA she will make her approach at. Plus I want to be in a spot where I can get tire smoke on touchdown so Bayswater it will be for me.