Page 44 of 54 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: Shuttle Enterprise to New York April 23rd, 2012

shot this today.

It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

Is that from the walk over bridge ?

Great shots people! When I left town on Wednesday this thread was on page 22, logged back in tonight to find it at page 44 and finished catching up after 20 mins or so. I'll have to watch some youtube vids of the flyby when I get a minute. Surreal seeing the thing by Kennedy tower landing on the same runway it would have used as one of those last resort backup scenarios.

I have to say though, that shuttle isn't filthy enough....just sayin...

Enterprise still Atop SCA

I saw the Enterprise and the SCA at the JFK Hangar yesterday. I suggest you plan your visit soon as there is already a crane there waiting to hoist the Enterprise off the 747. The security was very nice and understood the intense interest in the Shuttle. There is a parking lot right near the hangar but I think it's for employees only. Beware if you stop along the Van Wyck, the PA will ticket you. I conveniently arrived by city bus as I have no car and could stay as long as I desired. Friday was the opposite, where the Shuttle moved quickly overhead and you had no time to change batteries or change lenses. It was a once-in-a-lifetime blast. Please visit this before it's moved. Where else can we see a craft piggy-back? Enjoy!

Thanks for the heads up. I was out on Saturday but only saw it from the Van Wyck, didn't know I could get closer. I was (wrongly?) under the impression that it'd be on top of the SCA until it was moved in June.

It should stay atop the SCA for at least another couple of weeks. The equipment has not arrived at JFK.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

After its removal off the SCA, where will the 747 go? To Cape Kennedy or maybe Houston? What will it be used for now? How awesome if the Enterprise could be displayed piggy-back at the Museum. Of course the Flight Deck could never accomodate a 747, but just the idea excites me!

It will either go back home to Edwards AFB for awhile or back down to the KSC because they still need it to ferry Space Shuttle Endeavour to California later this year.

Here's one more to the collection. Not everyday do you see the space shuttle, SCA and a A380!

Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

The cranes and equipment needed to remove the enterprise from the SCA have to drive up from Dulles and it will take a while as they are very slow, I believe under 20mph. If I remember correctly the rumor was somewhere around the 22nd of May for removal.

The SCA 747 will be returning to Edwards AFB until its final mission with Endeavor.
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zee71 View Post
    Here's one more to the collection. Not everyday do you see the space shuttle, SCA and a A380!

Nice Nice Bloody Well Nice!!

Very cool shot..very impressive!

Great shots. I researched the fate of the SCA 747 and sadly, it will return to Dryden Resarch Center in California to be used for spare parts. So bluntly speaking, it will never fly again after over 25 years of service to NASA ferrying shuttles. This aircraft should not be broken-up but placed in a museum, but that's my opinion. Anybody know when the SCA will depart JFK? I'd love to see that! It probably won't be for a few weeks.

That isn't what NASA has said, though. One SCA has been retired to serve as a spares source for SOFIA (the 747SP telescope) and NASA has said that the current SCA will remain in service as the crew training and concurrency aircraft for SOFIA, as well as other misc tasks (like transporting Boeing's Phantom Ray for instance).

Hopefully she's got a few years left in her new job

Crane is getting setup as we speak...started yesterday
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".