Page 42 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast
Results 616 to 630 of 799

Thread: Shuttle Enterprise to New York April 23rd, 2012

  1. #616
    Senior Member Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    about 700 feet west of runway 14-32 in Farmingdale
    Posts
    299
    Here's one of the T-38 taking off, not the best quality, mainly due to the haze off of the water:



    And here are a few from yesterday. There is a parking lot right off of the service rd of the Van Wyck that no body was hassling anyone at yesterday. We were able to park, take whatever images we wanted (the fairly straight on shots) and then we walked to a foot bridge and took some close ups.



    From the pedestrian overpass:



    If you drove further down the road, you were able to get this vantage point. I took a few shots before the NYPD chased everyone away, It's a matter of timing as the local security, even the ones in the image didn't seem to mind people pulling over and taking images.




  2. #617
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    49
    Ok I'm definitely going back in the coming weeks then. I only saw it from the road.

    When are they going to de-mate it?? In June when it is moved??

  3. #618
    Senior Member gonzalu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    The Bronx, New York
    Posts
    6,028
    Quote Originally Posted by sammers4247 View Post
    Pardon my point and shoot shot, Manny, but here it is

    https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...24208443_n.jpg
    Sam thanks :) Works for me... that's funny looking if you ask me. They could have done a better job of storing this relic!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

  4. #619
    Administrator PhilDernerJr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    12,470
    Amazing photos from everyone. I love how Eric went black and white on some....very appropriate and awesome. Below are more of my favs...

    Quote Originally Posted by StanNJ1 View Post
    Shot this composite from Weehawken



    Quote Originally Posted by Zee71 View Post

    Aside from how amazing the shuttle is, I loved seeing the NASA DC-9 photos!

    Sadly, by far the most amazing spotting event of all time...I missed. I'm stuck in Florida for 5 weeks of class. So happy that you guys had such a great time with it though!

    After years of joking "space shuttle on final to JFK" it really happened. Unreal.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

  5. #620
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3
    Pictures taken from 56th Street at the Hudson. Almost a video...

    Thanks to NYCAviation for the tweets getting me there at the right time. It took just about as long to get down/cross town as it did for the 747 to get there from Dulles.

    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3&l=951d3efdf0

  6. #621
    Senior Member Gerard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    4,851

  7. #622
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Filming Hooker..... was the only one with a day job at the time

  8. #623
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Pleasant Valley, CT
    Posts
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by Roush6NY View Post
    Great shots guys ! I am sooo bummed out that I had no way out of work today to be there

    Looking forward to seeing more. Anyone took a group shot of the 75 heads at Bayswater ?
    Just when Enterprise was heading up the Hudson over Verrazano-Narrows Bridge. (lot more photogs not visible that were lined up against the wall on the right side)


  9. #624
    Junior Member THX Express's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Berlin Germany
    Posts
    9
    At first many thanks to the forum for the information about the timetable and the spotter locations!

    And here are the results







    Thanks and Cheers from Berlin/Germany

    @ CX777

    Thanks for the pic, I am the guy with the sandy coat!
    Last edited by THX Express; 04-29-2012 at 12:50 PM.

  10. #625
    Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post


    Number one on my list of fun airplanes to fly! Extended trail in the T-38 was just a license to steal.
    Damn Moose. How long did you train in it for?

    What I would do to be in the back seat.

  11. #626
    Senior Member Gerard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    4,851
    Quote Originally Posted by ronsmytheiii_nsf View Post
    Filming Hooker..... was the only one with a day job at the time
    With a Hooker or filming (TJ)Hooker??
    Mmmm TJ Hooker didnt start till 1982 and I believe this pic is from the late 70s.

  12. #627
    Junior Member crowe-t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Howard Beach, NY
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Here's one of the T-38 taking off, not the best quality, mainly due to the haze off of the water:



    And here are a few from yesterday. There is a parking lot right off of the service rd of the Van Wyck that no body was hassling anyone at yesterday. We were able to park, take whatever images we wanted (the fairly straight on shots) and then we walked to a foot bridge and took some close ups.



    From the pedestrian overpass:



    If you drove further down the road, you were able to get this vantage point. I took a few shots before the NYPD chased everyone away, It's a matter of timing as the local security, even the ones in the image didn't seem to mind people pulling over and taking images.



    Joe,

    Those are great pictures.

    I live in Howard Beach so maybe I'll go over to that parking lot and try and take some pictures.

    Is this area it's under where the Enterprise/SCA is being kept until it's taken off the SCA and transported to the Intrepid? I thought it was going to be housed inside a hanger.

    Mike.

  13. #628
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    3,117
    For anyone interested here is what the LGA fly-by looked like, not sure who took this video but decent view. This fly-by seemed much higher than the JFK one, thinking they ended up being a little higher than the advertised 1000 feet but I could be wrong.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAvA9BlVbBE

  14. #629
    Senior Member moose135's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    8,057
    Quote Originally Posted by gpalz1 View Post
    Damn Moose. How long did you train in it for?

    What I would do to be in the back seat.
    About 6 or 7 months, I forget exactly how much time I have in it, a hundred something hours, all at 1.1 hours at a time. A handful of those flights were in the back seat - when we did our instrument training, we rode in the back, with the IP up front, so we could pull the hood over. Student pilots weren't allowed to land from the backseat though - landing from the front seat could be hard enough at times!

  15. #630
    Senior Member Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    about 700 feet west of runway 14-32 in Farmingdale
    Posts
    299
    Quote Originally Posted by crowe-t View Post
    Joe,

    Those are great pictures.

    I live in Howard Beach so maybe I'll go over to that parking lot and try and take some pictures.

    Is this area it's under where the Enterprise/SCA is being kept until it's taken off the SCA and transported to the Intrepid? I thought it was going to be housed inside a hanger.

    Mike.
    Thanks for the compliments Mike, and welcome to NYCAviation. I do not have any inside info on the shuttle. From what I read, they are supposed to store the shuttle in an enclosed hangar, as you can see, it doesn't fit into this one. If I had to make a guess, I would say that it will stay where it is for another few days or so until the equipment arrives from DC to demate the two. Once that occurs, they will move the shuttle to an enclosed hangar like they are supposed to. It is currently too tall for such storage. Then the SCA will head back to Florida for the next shuttle going to CA in the fall as there's no reason for it to stay here.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •