Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Shuttle Enterprise to New York April 23rd, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    I ran into someone spotting awhile ago who is in the know and said the same thing that April 23rd is most likely the date it's arriving at JFK.
    Damn I'm going to be up in Syracuse that day!! I wonder if they will do a FlyBy around Manhattan before landing at JFK. That woud be cool.

I was going to be coming back from either SXM or PUJ that day but it looks like I will be back a day early. Ideally for me, it would be 31R just so I could literaly watch it land from my office but I guess I am going to have to drive out to the side of the runway. :p Cannot wait!~
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Hey guys wanted to pass on the plan for the shuttle. As of right now it will be starting off at the VZ north on the Hudson at 1500 feet for photos over the Statue then to the GWB making a 180 and either going to JFK for a low approach on 31L or making a right turn at the Statue to EWR for a low approach. If it does EWR first it it will then turn North over TEB then direct to LGA for a pass. I believe it will be at 1500' over both TEB and LGA. Then over to JFK. If they go to JFK after the run up the river it will do the low approach to 31L then direct EWR, then TEB, then LGA then to 31L for full stop. Either way JFK will get a low approach then the landing. I'm just wondering what altitude they will do the low approach at EWR at, I'm waiting to hear! Hope that wasn't too confusing.

Bill

Bill you speak in confusing tongues that only ATC can understand. I plan to be out....this should be epic!!!
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

OK, so, can I take all that to mean no last minute BS switch to 22L? I don't think I'm the only one here that would be horrified at a last minute switcheroo. Do you know how many car accidents would happen between Far Rockaway and the Mounds?

As I heard one of us say recently, "Kennedy Tower likes to f- you in the a-" Sorry, that's the cleanest I can make that

Hopefully that 31L doesn't wind up becoming 13R. Down here at IAD we are praying for 1R, but if I am gonna be there, it will somehow become 19L. The Tower at IAD loves to do that to me :)

I would imagine they would want the longest possible runway available, and will treat this arrival much like AF1 where it gets whatever runway it wants. At least I hope so.

Hopefully the low approach will be similiar to one they did down in Texas 3 years ago in this video.

What a beast... anyway, do we have expected times to land? At JFK, it will be 31L/13R and I am betting on 31L only because it is a nice easy VFR off the water right in.. no turns, no landmarks etc.

In the morning, it will SUCK A$$ in the afternoon it can be epic...

...and how the heck am I going to get from LGA to EWR to TEB to Battery Park and to JFK in time for each?
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    ...and how the heck am I going to get from LGA to EWR to TEB to Battery Park and to JFK in time for each?
    If we all pool our life savings, maybe we can rent a helicopter for the day and follow it?

we're still several weeks away on this and I'm already pumped as hell! Shuttle baby, shuttle!!!

Quote Originally Posted by yankees368 View Post
    If we all pool our life savings, maybe we can rent a helicopter for the day and follow it?
    LOL my thinking exactly. Or maybe hitch a ride in a Newscopter!!

I am retired and could see this but I have no car so I wouild need an approximate arrival time and runway. I saw the Enterprise years ago aboard a B747 flying over NYC enroute to the Paris Air Show but I was at work and had no camera.It was awesome! My guess is she would arrive on Rwy 31L for 2 reasons: longest runway and close enough to be shipped on a barge to Intrepid. I might hire a car to take me to a viewing location as I can't find anybody here in Brooklyn willing to take me. Please let us know the arrival information. In any case, I'll be viewing when she sails-up the Hudson.

I can empathize. How often I waited by Rwy 22L to see the Concorde land only to get it switched at the last minute to land on Rwy 22R. It also happened several times when it was switched to land on Rwy 13R while I was sitting by Rwy 13L. Since I came by car service, I had no way to change my location. Planespotting is great but is so aggravating at times. Taking photos at the terminals is best, but since 9-11, we get chased-away!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    LOL my thinking exactly. Or maybe hitch a ride in a Newscopter!!
    Or, maybe string a couple Taco Copters together and hang a little seat from it

I just can't allow the Taco Copter idea to die