Page 18 of 54 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Shuttle Enterprise to New York April 23rd, 2012

Great information. You guys are amazing. Now, I am unsure where to spot Wed. morning. My original plans have changed. I want to stay at Battery Park since if it's clear you could clearly see the maneveurs around the Statue and Newark but will miss the actual landing on 31L at JFK. Bayswater would be best but then I would miss the fly-by the Statue. Wish I could be in 4 places at the same time. I'm sure you guys will post excellent photos and videos of the landing.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1 View Post
    The Intrepid used to have an actual El Al B707 cockpit but suddenly removed it. I heard it went to a air museum in Long Island.
    It's on display at the Cradle of Aviation in Garden City.

Nowadays, plastic model kits of aircraft have gone the way of VHS and Kodacolor film.
    Tell that to the hundreds of people we expect to attend our plastic model show at the American Airpower Museum in two weeks.

Thanks for posting the charts showing the 2 possible paths. I am confused as to the meaning of the colors, red, blue and green. What are their significance ? Also, in the North Flow Proposal, there is no fly-by over northern Brooklyn. Is that correct? Both proposals seem to indicate 2 fly-overs for the Statue. Is that possible? The charts are fascinating but confusing to a non-pilot.

Very informative. Thank you. I plan to be at Battery Park Wed. AM to see the fly-by over the Statue. I saw the exact same fly-by back in June 1983; it was awesome but I had no camera.
    Apparently (almost) no one did. Just like the dozen or so times concorde landed at EWR. At least going by what is published on the web. You get to around 2000 and all that changes....
    "Keep 'em Flying"

I agree. Those 3 displaced historic aircraft could have been placed on the pier in front of Concorde; there's plenty of room. This has happened before. Intrepid used to display an El Al 707 cockpit but it got shipped-off to I believe a museum in Long Island. Maybe they were scared it would offend terrorists. Sadly, there's no chance that MIG-15 will ever be returned. Remember what they did to the Edson?
    Yes, that was very unfortunate. The museum really should've been allowed to gobble up another pier; there just isn't enough space at their disposal to meet their ambitions.
    "Keep 'em Flying"

OK, well, by popular demand, to repeat what has already been asked... WHAT DAY IS IT ARRIVING???
    "Keep 'em Flying"

I posted last week that there was a problem with the weather forecasted for April 23 and several resonders laughed at me. They should check first before making a fellow aviation enthusiast sound like a fool. I was trying to be helpful to those changing plans for Monday. I was also mocked when Kids Day got cancelled back in Sept. a few years ago. We must try to get along and be helpful on this wonderful site. We have enough problems these days with the authorities when doing our spotting!
    Is it okay to call you "Rain Man"? No.. just kidding... you were right. No one should ever discount a bad weather forecasts for Large Outdoor Events in NYC - they seem to happen more often than not. Fingers crossed I get to see this one at all....
    "Keep 'em Flying"

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Turner View Post
    OK, well, by popular demand, to repeat what has already been asked... WHAT DAY IS IT ARRIVING???
    Preach on sister!!!

Hearing there will be a meeting for the rescheduling tomorrow, and flight will take place no earlier than 4/25.

If its one day after that, I won't be able to make it out so my fingers are crossed for Wednesday.

Meeting will happen at 1300hrs on Monday.

Tom, Kenny, what day is the shuttle arriving in Washington?
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Manny...I can't put together the right characters to form a middle finger aimed in your direction lol.

Tom I have a feeling you'll be around. I mean, how could [you] of all people miss this event? Seems to me you and Art have been present for most of the historic or rare moments in NYC aviation history for the past umpteen years :P Every time I look up a cool old photo from JFK it is either Art, or you or Raj lol...
    Manny Gonzalez

I would have rather seen the Cradle get the shuttle over the Intrepid....their space exhibit is very impressive.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    I would have rather seen the Cradle get the shuttle over the Intrepid....their space exhibit is very impressive.
    Can you imagine your typical tourist going out there to the Cradle? It would be insane confusion :-) Is there an easy ride out on LIRR or similar? Intrepid maies a lot of sense if only the 43rd/44th st proximity to Times Sq and all there is to do nearby. Also walkable for most...
    Manny Gonzalez