Page 15 of 54 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Shuttle Enterprise to New York April 23rd, 2012

4/23 is postponed

UGH! It's been postponed!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2012...Postponed.html

MEDIA ADVISORY : M12-075

Weather Postpones Shuttle Enterprise Flight to New York

WASHINGTON -- NASA's planned flight to New York City of space shuttle Enterprise atop the 747 Shuttle Carrier Aircraft (SCA) has been postponed until further notice due to an unfavorable weather forecast for Monday, April 23.

To ensure a safe flight for Enterprise and the SCA, NASA managers, in consultation with the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum, decided Friday to delay the flight because of inclement weather predicted in both New York and Washington, where the flight will originate.

Managers will continue to review weather forecasts and announce a new flight date as soon as practical.

Media will have access to the public areas at Dulles to view the departure of Enterprise. Media sending crews to Dulles should contact the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority Office of Public Affairs at 703-417-8370.

After departing Washington, the SCA and Enterprise will fly over various parts of the New York City metropolitan area before landing and John F. Kennedy International Airport.

Several weeks following the arrival, Enterprise will be "demated" from the 747 and placed on a barge that will be moved by tugboat up the Hudson River to the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum in June. The shuttle will be lifted by crane and placed on the flight deck of the Intrepid where it will be on exhibit to the public starting this summer in a temporary climate-controlled pavilion. The Intrepid continues work on a permanent exhibit facility to showcase Enterprise that will enhance the museum's space-related exhibits and education curriculum.

For more information about NASA's transfer of space shuttles to museums, visit:

Quote Originally Posted by threeholerglory View Post
    pardon my ignorance if I missed the post about it, but is there a possibility of a rain date of Tuesday? I hope to heck it is, I have a flight to Atlanta on Wednesday.
    Not from what EMSHighway posted up thread: http://nycaviation.com/forum/threads...l=1#post464582

Weather Postpones Shuttle Enterprise Flight to New York - UGH!

http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2012...Postponed.html

Text Size
    Grow Text SizeShrink Text Size
    Michael Curie
    Headquarters, Washington
    202-358-1100
    [email protected]

Laura J. Brown
    Federal Aviation Administration
    202-267-3455
    [email protected]
    April 20, 2012

MEDIA ADVISORY : M12-075

Weather Postpones Shuttle Enterprise Flight to New York

WASHINGTON -- NASA's planned flight to New York City of space shuttle Enterprise atop the 747 Shuttle Carrier Aircraft (SCA) has been postponed until further notice due to an unfavorable weather forecast for Monday, April 23.

To ensure a safe flight for Enterprise and the SCA, NASA managers, in consultation with the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum, decided Friday to delay the flight because of inclement weather predicted in both New York and Washington, where the flight will originate.

Managers will continue to review weather forecasts and announce a new flight date as soon as practical.

Media will have access to the public areas at Dulles to view the departure of Enterprise. Media sending crews to Dulles should contact the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority Office of Public Affairs at 703-417-8370.

After departing Washington, the SCA and Enterprise will fly over various parts of the New York City metropolitan area before landing and John F. Kennedy International Airport.

Several weeks following the arrival, Enterprise will be "demated" from the 747 and placed on a barge that will be moved by tugboat up the Hudson River to the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum in June. The shuttle will be lifted by crane and placed on the flight deck of the Intrepid where it will be on exhibit to the public starting this summer in a temporary climate-controlled pavilion. The Intrepid continues work on a permanent exhibit facility to showcase Enterprise that will enhance the museum's space-related exhibits and education curriculum.

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    According to the news, as I heard it from my landlord and saw reported on the NY Times site, they are aiming instead for Tuesday. Can anyone in the know advise as I know word from the govt can be as reliable as a two week out wx forecast.

Guys I just got this email from the Intrepid concerning the arrival (I was invited to attend the ceremony at JFK as a member)

''The Intrepid and NASA have discussed the planned movement of the space shuttle Enterprise and the weather forecast for Monday. Because the forecast is poor and unlikely to improve in both the Dulles and JFK Airport areas, the decision was made to cancel the Monday movement of Enterprise to JFK Airport.
    It is too early to project a date on which we can have the event as weather projections of course can change. Intrepid and NASA will continue to communicate daily and as soon as forecasts allow we will send you information on the new event date and time.

We look forward to seeing you on the rescheduled arrival date.''

I'll post any updates the museum sends me as soon as I get them.....
    Last edited by alberchico; 2012-04-21 at 12:24 AM.
    You will never know what you will be capable of until you try

Just wanted to know, since the long term plan is to move the shuttle to a building across the street will the aircraft given to the museum upstate be ever returned ? The mig-15 was one of my favorites ......

Quote Originally Posted by alberchico View Post
    Guys I just got this email from the Intrepid concerning the arrival...'
    Guess nobody told the marketing department. Just got this email: http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=...c&e=fb75cd496d

Quote Originally Posted by wunaladreamin View Post
    You sir, are my father. Thanks for all that info!
    I thought I was your father Kenny!

I go to work and 5 pages of replies...WOW. I must say this NY contingent is with you Perriwen. It is really a bum deal that Houston didn't get the Enterprise but it's late so I'll put the topic back to bed along with me.
    +++++1970-2006+++++
    Tomcats Forever, Baby!

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Quote Originally Posted by NickPeterman View Post
    . Arguing about it is simply going to make people mad, and to what end? N.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by eric8669 View Post
    You are one bitter texan.

Oh, man!!!

Dude!!!

You just got SLAMMED by Dunetz!!!

End of thread.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    oh, BTW I just got done reading that article about why they didnt deserve it. At first, I wasnt going to bother as I thought it was some blowhard.

Then I realized it was from a former director of NASA, someone intricately involed with the SHuttle program.

Interesting and thus an insightful perspective.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Update...anyone...please???

They will probably make the call on Sunday. I would keep both days free right now if possible. The only thing I could see possibly influencing the decision on which day is that isn't Tuesday Presidential Primary Elections in New York?
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

So will the Intrepid be charging an additional fee for going into the shuttle exhibit ? The basic admission to the ship plus the Concorde tour is $42. So seeing everything might cost you more than $50 ?

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie View Post

You just got SLAMMED by Dunetz!!!

I guess you could say that if I was bitter, or even a Texan.

The basic admission to the ship plus the Concorde tour is $42. So seeing everything might cost you more than $50 ?
    Please tell me that's not per person....charging $200 for a family of four will definitely cause the tourist numbers to drop, considering the price of admission to see Discovery and the whole Air and Space museum is going to be free.
    Last edited by Perriwen; 2012-04-21 at 01:42 PM.