Page 13 of 54 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Shuttle Enterprise to New York April 23rd, 2012

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Wow, a whole .3 million (or 300,000) more than Intrepid and the still couldn't pull it off, huh?

(I love how you called it .3 million as opposed to 300,000. I paid .444 million for a house once....sounds impressive.

Its not.)
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie View Post
    Wow, a whole .3 million (or 300,000) more than Intrepid and the still couldn't pull it off, huh?

(I love how you called it .3 million as opposed to 300,000. I paid .444 million for a house once....sounds impressive.

Its not.)
    Well, if you wanna talk numbers...

There will be THREE shuttles on the East Coast.

One will be Discovery, the most traveled spacecraft in history.
    One will be Atlantis, who was the final shuttle to fly.
    Then Enterprise, which never flew into space.

Discovery and Enterprise won't be terribly far from each other. So, if you're coming to the East Coast and want to see a shuttle, would you rather brave the NYC and New Jersey traffic and see the prototype that never went into space, or see the most traveled spacecraft in history and most famous shuttle along with the entire Air and Space Museum? Or, perhaps go further south to see Atlantis and the place where the vehicle launched and landed at? As well as maybe see a real launch yourself and meet an astronaut. And see the VAB. As well as the very firing room the launches were controlled from.

Just saying, with the numbers game that keeps getting brought up...with three shuttles in one region and two of them being real shuttles in massive, very well built facilities, Intrepid will probably get the smallest amount of interest out of the three.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Oy vey.

nuff said.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Quote Originally Posted by Perriwen View Post
    Just saying, with the numbers game that keeps getting brought up...with three shuttles in one region and two of them being real shuttles in massive, very well built facilities, Intrepid will probably get the smallest amount of interest out of the three.
    LOL

Anyway...see you guys Wednesday???
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by wunaladreamin View Post
    ...see you guys Wednesday???
    I'll be there!

OMG can we just give it a break. Geeeeeeez!!!
    And I dont care where they put it as most here probably we just want to see it fly around NYC and take pictures.

You are one bitter texan.

There will be THREE shuttles on the East Coast.

One will be Discovery, the most traveled spacecraft in history.
    One will be Atlantis, who was the final shuttle to fly.
    Then Enterprise, which never flew into space.

Discovery and Enterprise won't be terribly far from each other. So, if you're coming to the East Coast and want to see a shuttle, would you rather brave the NYC and New Jersey traffic and see the prototype that never went into space, or see the most traveled spacecraft in history and most famous shuttle along with the entire Air and Space Museum? Or, perhaps go further south to see Atlantis and the place where the vehicle launched and landed at? As well as maybe see a real launch yourself and meet an astronaut. And see the VAB. As well as the very firing room the launches were controlled from.

Quote Originally Posted by eric8669 View Post
    You are one bitter texan.
    I'm not a Texan, I'm just here briefly to finish up college after Hurricane Katrina plopped me here.

Preferably, soon I'll be moving to somewhere around the Titusville, FL area. I'll get to see launches from my backyard AND live near Atlantis. <3
    Last edited by Perriwen; 2012-04-20 at 07:34 PM.

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    I'm not a Texan, I'm just here briefly to finish up college after Hurricane Katrina plopped me here.

Preferably, soon I'll be moving to somewhere around the Titusville, FL area. I'll get to see launches from my backyard AND live near Atlantis. <3
    So what the **** are you complaining about then?!?!

EGADZ!!!!
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by wunaladreamin View Post
    So what the **** are you complaining about then?!?!

EGADZ!!!!
    Certainly not what people keep claiming I'm complaining about. :P

Certainly not what people keep claiming I'm complaining about. :P
    Okay now can we put this to rest and focus on the original topic? PLEASE!! Its getting boring and annoying.

It's unfortunate there are so few shuttles to distribute, however, if the criteria used by NASA was how many people would see the shuttle in a museum, and that was a large part of the decision, its seems the Intrepid is probably the logical choice...

http://c554.r54.cf1.rackcdn.com/SCH_...ram%20Tour.pdf

ABOUT SPACE CENTER HOUSTON
    As the Official Visitor Center for NASA's Johnson Space Center, Space Center Houston is the only place on earth
    that gives guests an out-of-this-world journey through human adventures in space. Since 1992, this $75 million,
    180,000 square foot complex has entertained and informed over 11 million guests from every corner of the globe.

http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/Latest...repid-to-.aspx

The Intrepid Museum already draws almost 1 million visitors per year, 70% of whom come from outside of the New York City metropolitan area. After the Concorde was added to the Intrepid Museum in 2003, there was a 20% spike in attendance. Considering the outpouring of interest in bringing the space shuttle to New York, visitation is expected to balloon at an even larger rate.

Let's be mature.

The choice of Houston Texas as home for the Space Center was itself a political decision of that time.

The Intrepid as a choice for Enterprise is less than perfect from my point of view, however it is worth having one in New York City, and the general Metropolitan Area. And, lets not forget, as deserving of reverance or respect as these Shuttles are, for their historic and technical significance, like concorde, in the end, they are WELL represented.

(Keep in mind, for example, there are no examples of the definitive Clipper Sea Planes in existence I don't believe).

Perhaps an authentic Buran Orbiter can be secured for Houston?
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Turner View Post

The choice of Houston Texas as home for the Space Center was itself a political decision of that time.

The Intrepid as a choice for Enterprise is less than perfect from my point of view, however it is worth having one in New York City, and the general Metropolitan Area. And, lets not forget, as deserving of reverance or respect as these Shuttles are, for their historic and technical significance, like concorde, in the end, they are WELL represented.

(Keep in mind, for example, there are no examples of the definitive Clipper Sea Planes in existence I don't believe).

Perhaps an authentic Buran Orbiter can be secured for Houston?
    It also can be argued the decision for Enterprise in NYC was politically influenced. Obama making sure his appointee gives a gift for his supporters like Schumar, Wiener, and Bloomberg while snubbing a very red state. Actually, it's funny when you consider ALL the shuttles went to a state that voted for him.

Also, the only Buran is far from good repair, after having the hanger it was in collapse onto it..
    Last edited by Perriwen; 2012-04-20 at 09:29 PM.

housekeeping decision by tt... :)
    Last edited by Tom_Turner; 2012-04-20 at 09:38 PM.
    "Keep 'em Flying"

It also can be argued the decision for Enterprise in NYC was politically influenced. Obama making sure his appointee gives a gift for his supporters like Schumar, Wiener, and Bloomberg while snubbing a very red state. Actually, it's funny when you consider ALL the shuttles went to a state that voted for him.

Also, the only Buran is far from good repair, after having the hanger it was in collapse onto it..
    Actually Perriwen, the Shuttle going to New York has ALREADY BEEN argued as a political decision.

I am responding to that line of the argument, which has already been posited, and adding that what can be stated quite factually, is the politics of placing of the Johnson Space Center in Texas. You can look it up as they say.
    "Keep 'em Flying"