Thread: Historical Question on a BOS-DTW

Program Coordinator

Historical Question on a BOS-DTW

I've been trying to figure out if I've flown all the Boeing planes that have been in generally accepted active service since I was born (so all but the 707), and the 747 and 787 are my only holes so far. My parents tell me I flew in a Northwest or Northwest Orient 747 from Boston to Detriot in what would've been 1987. Them not knowing airplanes particularly well, I'm wondering if anyone knows if either a) either carrier used the aircraft at that time on that route or b) how I might be able to look it up somewhere?
    An admittedly quick google search didn't immeadietely turn up anything helpful.

Jeremy,

I tried to find some vintage NW timetables on line, but only found a cover and map. I seem to recall they did run 747's domestically for a while. If they had, for example done a BOS-AMS route or something similar in the later 80's, they would have used a DC-10 or 747 at the time, then perhaps run a domestic leg to reposition the aircraft back to DTW. I think they ran some other routes in and out of MSP for a while too on 747's and DC-10's including JFK as well.

So it is purely speculation at this point, but I would say your folks could be absolutely right.
    It's the fares, stupid

Program Coordinator
    Yeah, the reposition possibility didn't even occur to me...and NW used to have several intl flights - BOS-AMS being one of them.