Thread: A Public Appeal: Dash-8 at LGA -- Gotta Catch'em All

A Public Appeal: Dash-8 at LGA -- Gotta Catch'em All

Hey folks,

It's been a while since I've been in touch with many of you, so firstly I hope everyone has been in good shape and having a good time. In a nutshell, I now live in Virginia and don't usually have much time to spot in NYC anymore...but that's why I'm writing.

With the industry as desperate as it is, I managed to pick up a gig as a first officer for Piedmont Airlines (aka/dba/hashtag US Airways Express). Been here for about a year. As most of you surely know, we're the guys who fly the scary turboprops people love to hate: the deHavilland Dash-8. El Mighty Ocho!

Our slot swap with Delta is becoming more evident at La Guardia with each passing day. I've seen several changes over the last few weeks, from Delta IT people walking around to survey the computing possibilities for their airline, to furniture is being moved around, to the relocation of our crew room to a tiny cubby under one of the baggage belts. Not the least of these changes is the dramatic down-tick in schedule frequencies and, ultimately, destinations.

Last summer our presence at LGA was business as usual -- dozens of daily flights between NYC and our Philly hub, upstate New York, and points as far north as Bangor, ME and south as Norfolk, VA. At this time, March will see a steady rollback that will culminate in a final Piedmont Dash-8 schedule of FOUR daily Philadelphia round trips. That's it. A shell of its former self.

I'm writing this to you all with my experiences as a spotter in the front of my mind. I understand that, for most of us, the greater appeal is the afternoon heavy rush at JFK, or when LGA is on the Expressway Visual or runway 4 with something big and loud on the way. But now the opportunity to capture local aviation history is on the table, and I would like to make sure those of you who are interested do not miss it. Within three or four months the image of a turboprop at LGA will be very faint. And it may be gone altogether not long after that, since our Dashes are among the oldest in the world.

--------

Now, admittedly, I have a bit of an ulterior motive here. I've been flying the Dash into LGA very regularly since last summer but haven't coordinated with anybody for an actual picture. If the weather is nice enough for anyone to be spotting today or tomorrow, Monday/Tuesday, February 27/28, this is my schedule:

PDT4370 CHO-LGA, arriving 5:49pm
    PDT4393 LGA-IAD, departing 6:29pm

PDT4386 IAD-LGA, arriving 3:43pm
    PDT4412 LGA-ITH, departing 4:15pm

PDT4415 ITH-LGA, arriving 7:15pm
    PDT4369 LGA-CHO, departing 7:59pm

Some of this is at night (italicized), but I'll keep an eye out for any big lenses or familiar faces wherever we go! I have vacation in the first half of March so the next trip won't be until the 16th.

All the best,

Brian
    "My wife is an air traffic controller. I married her because I've always wanted to screw the FAA." - B. Wulle

Think you could get permission to fly up the East River at, say, 1,000 ft? I can get a good shot of you with the skyline from my roof. :)
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Futterman, long time no see.

Ill try my best to catch your flight tomorrow afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter View Post
    Think you could get permission to fly up the East River at, say, 1,000 ft? I can get a good shot of you with the skyline from my roof. :)
    Best I can do is 4,000 up the Hudson...but I'll ask my captain. :-P

Quote Originally Posted by eric8669 View Post
    Futterman, long time no see.

Ill try my best to catch your flight tomorrow afternoon.
    Cool! I'll post again tomorrow morning when I know exactly what our schedule looks like and which aircraft I'll be in.
    "My wife is an air traffic controller. I married her because I've always wanted to screw the FAA." - B. Wulle

If by chance you end up on a flight into PVD anytime soon let me know. I will head over there to catch you if its in daylight.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

I may be able to get out Tuesday afternoon as well. May sure you wave when you go past!

Nice going Steve, I worked for them on the ground as Henson and Piedmont at AVP, FLO and EYW. I really do miss the job and the Dash 8. Do you get into Boston at all?
    Gene
    Last edited by Spunker; 2012-02-27 at 08:25 PM.
    Gene Delaney

Hey Brian

Good to see you back on here !

I caught ya in August taking off from LGA

Kaz T

My Photos:

JetPhotos
    KT Images NY

Eric, Moose, anyone else,

We're on schedule as 4386 from IAD to LGA, arriving around 3:30 or 3:45. Going to be in N942HA "HRG".

Looks like they're on the Expressway Visual today. Perfect! My leg. :-)

Brian

Well, I couldn't make it out there for the pictures so I figured I get you something ... Tower audio during your call in and landing.

http://manny.org/aviation/PDT4386.mp3
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

I had the chance to stand at planeview and watch Futt do an rwy22 departure a few weeks back. Thsi guy rotates after about 10 feet and climbs! No gear-up level-off or NOTHIN! haha
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

LOL...
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

If you're ever up in KALB, let me know. Although the only Piedmont service here come from LGA and PHL.