Thread: The Greatest Fireboat Ever Built!

The Greatest Fireboat Ever Built!

Today I was lucky to get a clean shot of the newest and greatest member of the NYC Fire Department's Marine Unit. Number 1, "Three Forty Three" named in honor of the 343 Fire Fighters who lost their lives on September 11, 2001.

Hudson River at 125th St.

Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

wow that thing looks pretty serious, nice shot of it

Thanks William. So serious in fact that it pumps 30,000 gallons more per minute than its predecessor. Think about it... next time you hold a gallon of milk in your hand, consider pouring all of it's contents in one minute, 50,000x!
    Manny Gonzalez

I always see it docked at the Brooklyn Navy Yard... but this shot is great ... Thanks

I miss the fire stations on 93rd/94th st and Battery Park... so they now dock in Brooklyn? oh well... I never get out there often enough. I need to ask Tom Turner to give me some tips on Ship Spotting :-)
    Manny Gonzalez

Nice shot Manny!

This vessel had a decontamination room as well.. designed to resist (to some extent) biological, nuclear and chemical contaminations!

Matt and whoever else might be interested, I am guessing the annual "Blessing of the Fleet" will likely take place on Flag Day coming up, and likely at the South Street Seaport - but don't hold me to that, I haven't confirmed it yet. If it is though, that's a great photo op and nearly the whole fleet will be there.

This is the sister vessel to the Fire Fighter ll, which docks (for now) at the former Navy Homeport pier on Staten Island. Three Forty Three is generally based at the former Brooklyn Navy Yard. So neither is generally accessable for a random planned shoot. But they do venture out in the harbor regularly and nearly always at special events - the last one was a couple of days ago when Disney Fantasy made it debut (currently at the Passenger Ship Terminal until sometime on Friday).

Vintage (and retired) fireboat John J Harvey - http://www.fireboat.org/ - is based at Pier 66 along the Hudson between
    West 26th and West 27th Streets
    . Reserve vintage fireboat John D McKeon is sometimes at a nearby pier (or was, not sure now).

@Matt - I miss the Battery Park station as well... AND the Grand Street location on the East River too. At one time a large fleet was needed, but I suppose so much of the wooden harbor shorefront infrasture has already burned down! :)
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Thanks Tom, I knew I could count on you for the details :) Hey, I would be very interested in the blessing ceremony... could you PM me or something if you know when/where? I'd love to give it a [shot]
    Manny Gonzalez