Thread: A Day on a plane ...

A Day on a plane ...

On occasion, I will spend a day on a plane, doing a mileage run or just doing what I like best - flying. Yesterday I did a rdu-dca-bna-dca-rdu run, lasting almost nine hours. Not through any advanced planning on my part, I spent the entire day on the same plane (N822AE), an Embraer 140, which was a really good thing since we were running late all day, and I would have missed most of my connections. The trip entailed four different flight numbers, three different crews, two seats (8A and 9A) - I love the single seat on the Embraer - and one plane. It was a beautiful day for flying - crystal clear - although a bit windy. Anyone else ever spend a day on a plane just flying around?

Program Coordinator
    Never for the heck of it, but I have had some interesting routes:
    dal-hou-maf-dfw-iah-sea

sea-sfo-iad-add-jnb-plz 43 hours
    and once sat 23hrs on an add to iad via tech stop in fco.

I have done many "Long" day trips over the years, the longest mileage/distance wise was LGA-GSO-PHX-PIT-LGA to jumpseat on a US 727-200 being returned to the lessor (the GSO-PHX leg). The best and most legs was on 3 different Alaska 737-200 combi's from SEA-KTN-WRG-PSJ-JNU-ANC-YAK-CDV-JNU-SIT-KTN-SEA (11 takeoff's and landings and it never got completely dark, such an awesome day).

But the most memorable on 1 single aircraft was LGA-MCO-SJU-PHL-LGA all in First Class on US 757 N617AU subbing for a 727-200.

Looking forward to more replies this group should have some real impressive ones.

LGA777
    Last edited by LGA777; 2012-02-27 at 12:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by viapanam View Post
    Anyone else ever spend a day on a plane just flying around?
    Well, I've done some 10-12 (or more) hour missions in the KC-135 where we took off, did an air refueling or two, a navigation leg, some pattern work, then parked in the same spot on the ramp we left from. Used to call it the "elevator effect" - ride around all day, and end up in the same place you started from.

For worked I've literally lived on a plane for as much as 8 days, sleeping across the back row. No showers, just fresh clothes, baby wipes, deodorant and airline food. :)
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Never have but been Delayed its an Hassle ;\ Most i've spent is few hours thats from Pbia To Albany ny..Then again i love flying :)

After a visit to the girlfriend we overslept and I missed a direct flight from Binghampton to Indianapolis on a USAir MD80 back in '91. "No problem" the gate agent says, "I'll put you on the next flight goin that way". Well, that turned out to be my first multi-segment puddle jumper. Let's just say that by the time I got back to Indy I knew the checklists pretty well. Kinda fun, though- totally different experience than regular point to point flying.