Thread: JFK 02/25/2012 Baywater and Verizon(?) (photo heavy)

about 700 feet west of runway 14-32 in Farmingdale

JFK 02/25/2012 Baywater and Verizon(?) (photo heavy)

I went by Baywater today in hopes of catching the Jet Blue plane done up in the Jets scheme as I have been tracking for for some time and haven't had a chance to photograph it when it was in town. Let me tell you, it was freezing there today, extremely windy - that sea wall was very useful, and at one point it even snowed pretty hard! I will post of the shots that I took. I was there for about 90 minutes or so. Enjoy.

This one was an unusual one, I checked flight aware and they didn't have any pictures of this plane on file and it's tail number doesn't match what's on the plane:

It made a loop so I was able to catch it overhead as well:

This one shows the brief period of heavy snow:

Luckily the snow only lasted a few minutes before the sun made another appearance.

A couple from the Verizon parking lot:

With the exception of the snow shower and some heavy cloud cover, I had nice lighting for the majority of my images. They were only using two runways for my time there and you can tell which images were from the far runway. I was using my 100-400 and could have used something with a longer reach for the further runway - not that I have anything with a longer reach, but it would have been nice. As mentioned earlier, the wind was horrific and if not for the sea wall, imaging would have been impossible as I was getting blown around. You can see the white caps in a few of the images.
    Joe

Nice work Joe! I can only image how cold it must have been at Bayswater. Glad you caught the Jets scheme.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

first let me say nice shots, 2nd what made you go to bayswater today, that is just crazy. Sit in your car at by Panera and stay warm while taking shots.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    You are quite brave. 50MPH gusts at Bayswater with air temp in the 40s. I would have liked to see that.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Brave man! Very nice work, Joe. On the white 747 - it's hard for me to see from your photos, but is the registration 4X-ICO? If so, it belongs to CAL - Cargo Airlines based in Israel. It is a private company which operates two 747-200 freighters, 4X-ICM and 4X-ICO. They have regular service into JFK.

Joe you're a brave soul as everyone pointed out. I have done it too, as has Eric and Moose and Mark and others... but I would only do it all day if we expected the Space Shuttle followed by two SR-71s!

Nice catch on the albino CAL. You caught 4X-ICO, the real freighter. Here is the converted one, 4X-ICM

Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Here are a few more:

Thanks for the compliments guys - always nice to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by eric8669 View Post
    first let me say nice shots, 2nd what made you go to bayswater today, that is just crazy. Sit in your car at by Panera and stay warm while taking shots.
    It was only my third time at Bayswater, I honestly did not expect such gusty winds, not taking into account how open it was there.Some of the boueys(?) were on their side most of the time because of the heavy sustained wind.I know better next time. I went to Bayswater as I thought that it provided the best shot of catching the Jets plane as it covers several runways, whereas Panera only covers two of them. Of course, as it turned out, I would have had a better shot of the Jets plane at Panera as they were only using those two runways. I would have missed a few of the other shots though.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    Brave man! Very nice work, Joe. On the white 747 - it's hard for me to see from your photos, but is the registration 4X-ICO? If so, it belongs to CAL - Cargo Airlines based in Israel. It is a private company which operates two 747-200 freighters, 4X-ICM and 4X-ICO. They have regular service into JFK.
    Thanks Moose.

Here is another image of the plane showing it's tag number:

I tried looking it up on Flight Aware and it had no record of that tail number, so I went by the time that the photo was taken. There were only a handful of 747's over the time period that I was there so it wasn't hard to narrow it down. They list it as :

CL942 B742 Liege (EBLG / LGG) Sat 03:42PM EST Sun 03:50AM CET Sat 09:42PM CET
    could it be a mistake on their part? They list the airline as Cavei Avir Lemitanim

After taking another look at your quote, CAL is the same owner, they just list a different tail number.
    Last edited by Joe; 2012-02-26 at 09:36 AM.

That EVA shot in the snow is just killer. Saturday was a b*tch for spotting but interesting lighting could be had(if you could keep your camera steady)

Manny why don't you just throw the Spruce Goose in that short list of your for good measure

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    Cavei = Lines. Avir = Air. L'mitanim = For cargo (plural).