Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Look to NYCAviation!

New Look to NYCAviation!

Hey all,

Today we launched the new look of NYCAviation... http://www.nycaviation.com/. As per our article discussing it, it is our fourth site redesign since our inception back in 2003.

Some features of the new look:
    - More featured article headlines are visible up high so you can see more of our exclusive articles
    - Cleaner back-end makeup that allows for faster page loading!
    - Category columns show you several recent articles in the areas of our Columnists, photography and aviation history.
    - Matt and Phil now have a blog, where we can discuss our thoughts on the industry, share insight on NYCA and the hobby, do book reviews and talk about more casual topics
    - Our Job Listings section allows people to sort through tons of jobs in the aviation industry!
    - Our recent tweets now seen on the homepage allow you to see news headlines and get travel updates even if you’re not on Twitter.

Our goal is to make the NYCAviation experience an efficient and useful one that serves all of our friends, whether they are aviation enthusiasts, industry professionals, or the casual internet surfer that stumbles upon our site.

We have not yet announced this to the world outside of NYCA! Only you guys so far. If you would like to have a look, PLEASE let us know what bugs you come across, things that don't look right, and let us know honest feedback on what is good and what isn't. Do so by posting here or emailing us at [email protected]. With any technical issues, please let us know what browser you have, and if you're running windows or apple.

KNOWN issues that exist on some articles that we're already aware of:

- In articles, some large photos appear twice in the beginning.
    - Some article thumbnails do no appear properly or at all (heavy database transfer still taking place)

Thanks guys and gals!

-Phil
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Program Coordinator
    Yes, a thousand times yes.

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar
    Looks good to me. Well done job!
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

Phil and Matt - The new look is fantastic! Job well done guys!
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Terrific job, Phil, Matt, Jeremy and company! Looks gorgeous, modern fresh yet still very functional.

However, if I may be brutal, I feel it is still a bit laggy. Clicking on most links on the main pages take a while longer than expected. Not sure if this is theme related or back-end server related.

In any case, LOVE the new look!

Sorry, tech details:

As I do this for a living, I am used to doing things thoroughly so apologies if it is overkill

--Testing was performed from the following platforms and browsers:
    +Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    -Internet Explorer 9.0.8112: Search Results as-you-type not working.
    -Safari 5.1.2: Search Results as-you-type are overlaid on top of the search field, obscuring it.
    -Firefox 10.0.2: No issues
    -Chrome 17.0.963: Search Results as-you-type is overlaid on top of search field, obscuring it.

+iOS 5.0.1
    -Safari Mobile: Similar issues as Windows Safari

+Mac OS-X 10.7 Lion
    -Safari, Firefox, Chrome: Latest versions, similar experiences.

I am mailing you a test set showing a lot more raw data and performance details :-)
    Last edited by gonzalu; 2012-02-20 at 10:11 PM.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    I've have been having that issue for months now. A lot of times pages refuse to load and I get the ERR empty response message.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Thanks guys!

Speed is not spectacular, but it IS faster than the previous design.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    -Internet Explorer 9.0.8112: Search Results as-you-type not working.
    -Safari 5.1.2: Search Results as-you-type are overlaid on top of the search field, obscuring it.
    -Firefox 10.0.2: No issues
    -Chrome 17.0.963: Search Results as-you-type is overlaid on top of search field, obscuring it.

+iOS 5.0.1
    -Safari Mobile: Similar issues as Windows Safari

+Mac OS-X 10.7 Lion
    -Safari, Firefox, Chrome: Latest versions, similar experiences.
    Thanks! I've fixed it in Safari/FF/Chrome on Mac, which usually should provide similar results in Windows. Don't have a Windows test machine so can't help the IE 9 users in that regard, but I trust the regular search and the rest of the site look fine in IE9, though. (If anyone has major problems while using IE9 let me know.)
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    I've have been having that issue for months now. A lot of times pages refuse to load and I get the ERR empty response message.
    You have to take OUT the ID card from your computer so that NYCA website can trust you and let you use the faster pages. Muhahaha!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

A fantastic new lay out, I say this layout is much easier to use compared to the old one plus it has a nice look to it!

Nicely done, gentlemen.
    It's the fares, stupid

After the last update I had a problem with the screen cutting off the right one-third of the photos, that issue seems to have been fixed.
    GOOD JOB!

You have to take OUT the ID card from your computer so that NYCA website can trust you and let you use the faster pages. Muhahaha!
    LOL you're a madman Manny! I've come to label these 'ID card bombs"

Looks really good guys! Great job!

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    I don't have to show Phil my ID the ACLU says so!

'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol