Thread: People Express Is Back!

People Express Is Back!

With a fleet of 737-400s, People Express is coming back with service along the east coast, including EWR!

http://flypex.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=pubDsp.dspMedia

"NEW PEOPLEXPRESS AIRLINES TO START SERVICE

CARRIER TO HEADQUARTER ITS OPERATIONS AT THE NEWPORT NEWS/WILLIAMSBURG INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT ADDING HUNDREDS OF JOBS TO REGION

NEWPORT NEWS, VA – A new PEOPLExpress Airlines will take to the skies in 2012. At a press conference today at the Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport (PHF) in Newport News, Virginia, the low-cost carrier announced it plans to begin service this coming summer. With a mission to serve markets currently underserved by major carriers, PEOPLExpress will offer deeply discounted fares to select cities in the eastern U.S. beginning with its base of operations at PHF. The arrival of the new carrier will also bring with it a significant number of jobs to the Hampton Roads area.

PEOPLExpress has filed its initial certification paperwork with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and will shortly file an application with the United States Department of Transportation (DOT) to become a regularly scheduled passenger airline. Following approval from the FAA and DOT, PEOPLExpress will announce its plan to begin taking reservations.

The legacy namesake of the new PEOPLExpress operated in the United States from 1981 to 1987, and was at one time the fifth largest domestic airline with flights to most major U.S. cities, as well as select European destinations. The original PEOPLExpress changed the face of the airline industry in the 1980s, and the revived brand vows to re-ignite the brand’s unique spirit of innovation to address today’s market needs.

Mike Morisi, Chief Operating Officer and one of the champions of the rebirthed PEOPLExpress commented, “With the recent decline in airline service due to mergers and consolidations, we have all had to travel farther out of our way to get anywhere. Flights are more expensive and the many ancillary fees make flying a hassle. Our goal is to make flying fun again. We will eliminate most fees for items such as checked bags and seat assignments aboard our fleet of Boeing 737-400 aircraft. Passengers will be seated in a single cabin with 158 seats with a pricing structure that is significantly more affordable than regional service provided by feeder airlines.”

Steve Mallon, Chairman of the Peninsula Airport Commission said, “We are excited to have an opportunity to work with PEOPLExpress as they launch new air service into the industry. PEOPLExpress’s model for great customer service and low fares should be a hit with our community.”

Hampton Roads residents will have access to affordable, non-stop service, but they are not the only beneficiaries. With a short drive to popular destinations like Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Williamsburg and the Outer Banks of North Carolina from the PHF, PEOPLExpress service will be a convenient, low-cost option for in-bound business, military, and leisure travelers. This same low-cost service will be offered to other cities, such as Pittsburgh, PA, Providence, RI, West Palm Beach, FL and Newark, NJ, where airline consolidation over the past few years has led to a reduction of non-stop air service.

The arrival of the PEOPLExpress at the Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport also means a boost for the local economy in job creation. Newport News will serve as a base for pilots, ground and inflight customer service personnel, mechanics, reservationists, operations personnel, and administrative staff. In addition, the presence of PEOPLExpress will also stimulate an equal or greater number of jobs in support industries such as hotels, rental cars, restaurants, tourism attractions, housing, and corporate relocations for the region. PEOPLExpress has leased 15,000 square feet of space in the old terminal building at the Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport for their corporate headquarters.

In support of its emergence, the airline is working with the investment banking firm of WR Hambrecht & Co. to complete the financing necessary to meet the airline’s start up needs. WR Hambrecht & Co. has the distinction of having financed the original PEOPLExpress Airlines as well as Apple, LinkedIn, Google, Genentech and dozens of others.

For additional information about PEOPLExpress, please visit our website at www.flypex.com or contact Jennifer Chambers at [email protected] or
    877-771-3671."

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    In this market, fuel prices and climate. I hope they make it. Good luck.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

That would be cool to see the old face profile on airplane tails again, I'd risk a cop bustin mah nutz to get some shots of them at EWR

I like the new colors, but this sounds like another story which is going to end with a lot of very passionate people who probably don't have a lot of money losing all of it.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Will be nice to see this work out for them. Especially if it brings another livery to look out for and another option to fly at PVD. It definitely would be nice to see an airline startup work out in this economy as well.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Total waste of money and resources...and lets hope the city isn't dumb enough to give them taxpayer dollars in the form of incentives.. Airtran was able to make it there because they could flow passengers to far more cities then this clown car outfit... Really....Hampton Roads to PIT.... raise your hand if you really think there's a market there???
    Last edited by T-Bird76; 2012-02-14 at 05:58 PM.

Livery looks good in green. Now we know where US Airways 734's will be going. I wish them well, but in this financial climate I doubt they will last long.
    Gene Delaney

PHF hub.... really? They are focusing on military, government, and tourism travel? Take away the government and military travel, I don't see SATO (the government travel agency) putting them as the contract carrier on any city pairs, even now it's almost a hassle to reserve Air Tran and Southwest flights. The big carriers will match the fares for city pairs and gov't/military travelers will get to fly Star Alliance/Skyteam carriers and keep the valuable flight miles. So now, we're down to tourism travel.... they won't come close to filling a 737-400 in and out of PHF.

What kind of marketing group is PEOPLExpress using? This almost seems like a college project, or a joke, is it April 1st already?

I grew up with the original PEOPLExpress. They had the marketing, they had the market. EWR and the 1980's, this is not.

Take as many pictures of these aircraft if they get off the ground, we'll be talking about them in a few years.... remember that airline that had the green 737's, PEOPLEsomething?

I believe business people should start airlines, airline people love airlines, not business. Remember Family Airlines, and Kiwi? Family never got off the ground, Kiwi was run by pilots.... a big no no.

AJ
    Pull back and the houses get smaller!

Another example of new start up carrier starting flying in the wrong markets, I believe they will in fact get off the ground but as the saying goes "Get Your Shots Now". I have actually met their CEO William Stockbridge while assisting with a magazine article, very nice down to earth guy. Unfortunately the 3 airlines I am aware of that he founded all went out of business. Gemini Air Cargo, Centurion Air Cargo, and Maxjet. At least they picked an aircraft (the 737-400) that is currently being retired by Alaska and soon retirements will start at US, so they will likely be many well maintained single owner aircraft available on the cheap.

Thats cool to hear,good luck to them!

I think this airline will fly, it won't last too long though. Low yeild market that relies very heavy on Navy flying. While the hearts of those starting this are in the right place, I echo Ron. The 734 is an excellent airplane to select though as it has relativly low CASM and has room to grow into. However, in this economy, fuel costs, lease rates jumping up and down constantly and some of the market choices, I am a skeptic. Maybe if they intend to spend down time flying charters there could be some money made. I am calling money pit on this one though. No dice. Get em while you can. What I find astonishing is that most of the folks on the board are seasoned airline vets. Most former PepEx people though. There is even one from JetBlue in the mix. Lets see. I bet they start selling seats before Baltia though.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"