Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alitalia 777 at SXM

Alitalia 777 at SXM

New visitor.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a 777 there. Love it.

Anyone know if the A380 can operate there? I assume not, but gosh darnit I don't have the type's runway performance charts handy.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

This winter season, Alitalia has been contracted to run charters from Milan and Rome to various destinations in the Caribbean including SXM, La Romana, and Pointe a Pietre with the A330-200 and 777-200. Certainly nice to see the 777 at SXM! When Air Europe was still in business they once sent their 777 to SXM:

Here's a pic of the A330: http://www.airplane-pictures.net/pho...rbus-a330-200/

And a video of the 777:

Caution wake turbulance from arriving Triple 7 LOL. Man I can't wait to get there for my 1st visit.
    Gene Delaney

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post

Anyone know if the A380 can operate there? I assume not, but gosh darnit I don't have the type's runway performance charts handy.
    If they can land a 747 at SXM, an A380 can easily meet that... but then the runway has to stand the weight ... wingtip clearance may be dicey butthen again, that do most taxi ops on the runway anyway by the big guys. The ramp is one gigantic huge mat so that should be fine... hardstands would be fine... great weather anyway. Problem may be the little planes always parked near the entry and exit points for the ramp/runway!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by Iberia A340-600 View Post
    And a video of the 777:

Somebody needs a wind-cut filter or dead cat on their mic... ugh! Sweet video though.
    Manny Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by Spunker View Post
    Caution wake turbulance from arriving Triple 7 LOL. Man I can't wait to get there for my 1st visit.
    I think we should have our first NYCA World Convention at SXM this coming December! Wink Wink Hint Hint!!
    Manny Gonzalez

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

7500 feet enough for takeoff if the air density is bad?
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Well, if they take off towards the ocean instead of the mountains, the fence is low enough they can just get off the ground and finish climbing slowly over the rest of the Atlantic

Methinks it is plausible! Balanced Field Takeoff may be considerably less than the MTOW distance of 9000' ... 744 requires 10,000' or so to accomplish the same feat.
    Last edited by gonzalu; 2012-02-11 at 02:30 PM.
    Manny Gonzalez

From the A380 Airport Planning PDF

http://www.airbus.com/fileadmin/medi...0-20111101.pdf

Last edited by gonzalu; 2012-02-11 at 02:47 PM.
    Manny Gonzalez

Manny those graphs are greek to me. IIRC a 747s have to watch their weight and can't fill totally with fuel so I was wondering. It's probably moot I can't see AF using it to fly there. Makes little sense in so many ways.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

There are so many factors that come into play on whether a plane can takeoff on a runway. As said length and weight on pavement are two. There's also climb performance, runway obstructions, temperature, air density and more.

There are so many factors that come into play on whether a plane can takeoff on a runway. As said length and weight on pavement are two. There's also climb performance, runway obstructions, temperature, air density and more.
    Actually the air would probably be the biggest issue. I think I read the 380 weight on pavement is actually better than the 747. As for the obstructions isn't SXM doing as major 3 step improvement thing? Personally like I said the fact the type makes no sense to that destination that even AF won't consider it is what will prevent it from happening.

The barometer begins affecting runway performance anytime it is below standard 29.92. Taking off in the direction of that mountain would certainly be an issue. Weight limitations on the shorter runway would be an issue.

Phil come see with us how the Lufthansa A380 takes off from 31L Kilo Echo to see just what it is capable of doing. Simply amazing performance. And I think if they can fill an A380 with pax, and send to SXM, it could reduce prices I am just saying ...
    Manny Gonzalez