Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KIAH-Winter 2011

KIAH-Winter 2011

Hello all,

Spent a hectic day and a half at KIAH a while back. Finally got through all the photos, and figured I'd share 'em with y'all and inspire you to get out to Texas someday!

IAH's parking garages allow for incredible access and views of the many terminals, both during the day and at night.

This bird was a former JAL passenger bird that was slated to be scrapped. Atlas jumped in and saved her. I later found out that this was the first photo of her with her new livery

Unfortunately the weather didn't quite cooperate 100% of the time (so little light we were shooting on a tripod at 3PM ).

How does a plane get this dirty?

One of the best locations puts you right above a busy regional jet/turbo-prop area. Lots of Q400s and ERJ's for sure

I'm yet to come up with a suitable caption for this one...

If 777LR's are your thing, IAH gets two of them in a 10 minute window.

Depending on the direction of operations, you are perfectly situated to get that touchdown shot, smoke and all.

It's also a great place to shoot the elusive 757-300. They sure do look odd when you are used to -200s.

I had been hunting a Cathay 747 for almost 2 years. While she's only a freighter, it still counts as it's a BCF

IAH at night is far more exciting than IAH during the day for sure.

I hope you enjoyed the set! If you're ever looking for an airport to hit, maybe give IAH a try. Although the weather prohibited it, they can get LHR/JFK style banking shots down there too.

Nick

Very nice, Nick ! Really loving the night shots, great work and thanks for sharing
    Kaz T

My Photos:

JetPhotos
    KT Images NY

AF seems to be notorious for operating aircraft with fuselage staining- for a flag carrier to allow this is disgraceful

excellent shots! I wouldn't normally associate IAH with serious spotting with the softness-inducing humidity levels but these look great!

Nick.........fantastic night shots!!! As far as the Air France, they should be band from landing dirty aircraft like that in the states. Looks like IAH is a spotter friendly place.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Thank you all. IAH is indeed very spotter friendly. A quick call to their security folks to let them know where I was, and I was good to go. Was never bothered once. As far as humidity and IQ was concerned, you are actually very close to the action, which definitely helps. That being said, I could foresee heat haze being a major issue for shots like the Cathay 744 and UniCon day stuff posted above.

As for Air France, it never ceases to amaze me how filthy those aircraft are. Either they simply don't wash them, or they fly them through airborne ash clouds for fun. Strangely the A330, 340, and 380s I've seen from them were clean. Maybe they don't clean Boeing aircraft anymore :)

Nice set Nick! Some pretty good views from there. The night shots are killer!
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Great set Nick!
    http://brandonsaviationblog.blogspot.com/ My continuing updated Aviation Blog
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/seahawks7757/ My continuing updated photostream from BFI and sometimes SEA

Great shots!

Great set!

IAH is definitely on my shortlist!

Wow! I really need to make the trek 4.5 hours south soon and explore this great state, well just the airports of the state! Amazing shots!

-Tad

Thanks guys! IAH was on my "to do" list for a while and finally just got it done. Glad I made the trek down from DFW in the end.

Nick,
    Brilliant night photos you've captured.
    Could your share your camera settings used to take those pictures. I seriously admire those willing to go the extra mile to capture night images, truly amazing & thanks for sharing.

Best Rgds, Hiflyer

I certainly can. I will sit down and copy the exif information for you this evening,

Nick

Very fantastic Nick, the Continental night shot and the BA 747 is just stunning.

Great work, Nick! That's quite a variety of subjects, and I love the night shots. Quick question - in a couple of the shots, the UA 752 and Cathay, it looks like an old USAF T-43 on the far side of the field. Was that just out there by itself, or was anything going on with it?