Thread: "Forum Poster" Script (Automatically converts JetPhotos page to forums' BBCode)

"Forum Poster" Script (Now Updated w/ Download Link)

We all know the feeling of trying to post in a thread with your thumbnails and their respective links. It's tedious. It's annoying (and confusing for some), and it's error prone. I was posting in the "Your JP.net/Airliners acceptances" thread, and apparently I either missed one link or thumbnail, and everything got screwed up. Especially when you have many photos to post at once, errors are likely, and when they do happen, you have to redo everything, and that still does not guarantee that you won't end up accidentally missing something else. I got so annoyed doing this today that I decided to write a program that does it automatically; that way, I will never have to stress out about missing a thumbnail or something anymore.

Here's how you use it:

1. Go to your respective JetPhotos.net page that you want to show. (e.g. http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=19254). It just has to be the kind of page with the list of thumbnails. It does not matter how many photos are on the page.

2. Right click on the JP.net page and click "View Page Source" (Firefox) or something along those lines if you're on another web browser. Make a new text (.txt) file in the same location as the program. Paste all of the source HTML into the text file and save.

3. Run the program. It will prompt you for the name of the input file (the one you just made) and the name of an output file, which will be created after the program runs, containing the BBCode for you to copy/paste into the forum. It will also ask you for the number of spaces you want between each thumbnail.

4. Once the program runs, go back to the folder where the program is located. There should be a new text file with the name that you specified earlier. Just open this text file, and copy/paste the contents into the forum. Sometimes the spaces may not show up in a text file reader like Notepad. I recommend Notepad++ to read text files: http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

A couple notes:

-This program has no GUI. It is command-line based.

-I take no responsibility for any damages resulting from the use of this program.

-Coded in C++.

EDIT: DL link deleted for now; apparently it's not working the way it should. Once I have some time to go over the code and make sure it works I will re-post.
    Last edited by heeshung; 2012-02-07 at 06:27 PM.

You know I am interested :-) Curious, is the code Posix compliant? wondering if it will compile on Unix for use on my main Mac workstation... thanks Mark.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

I believe OS X already has gcc, and g++ built in; if not, I think it's included in the Apple Developer Tools, so I don't think you'll have any problems compiling on a Mac.

If anyone wants the source code, please PM me for it.
    Last edited by heeshung; 2012-02-07 at 06:04 PM.

Thanks Mark... consider putting it up on Google Code for posterity and further development if interested ;-)
    Let's see how FreeBSD likes it
    Manny Gonzalez

The code I posted before is faulty because the forum automatically assumes the BBCode in the source is intended, even if it's in [code] tags. Therefore, I can't post the source code, but if you want it, PM me and I'll gladly send it.

On a side note, I plan to also add Airliners.net support later, maybe in a couple days when I have some extra time.

Here's a download link for the executable. It's in a .zip file. Just unzip and put the .exe anywhere you want.

EDIT: DL link deleted for now; apparently it's not working the way it should. Once I have some time to go over the code and make sure it works I will re-post.
    Last edited by heeshung; 2012-02-07 at 06:27 PM.

OK no sweat... I can help debug :-)
    Manny Gonzalez