Thread: What Price Should I Ask?

What Price Should I Ask?

I had someone email me asking to use one of my pictures in a power point presentation,and was wondering what I should ask? I was thinking around $500,but I don't want to ask too low or too high of a price.
    Thanks.

Doug

Program Coordinator
    Always tough to find that balance: First question I have is “who is someone?” Is “someone” a grad student, General Electric, small business, PR firm? This will help determine if the use is primarily editorial, commercial, personal, etc.
    Next question is “how long do they plan on using the photo for?”

Unless your picture is one of a kind, or close to one of a kind, I'd say that's way too high for one-time use in a slideshow. Did they actually mention/imply pay? Most of the companies that contact me about stuff like this just offer credit (which amounts to zilch for me - so I decline), or very little money (~$50 at the most). If it's not a unique picture, they will unfortunately just look for someone else to get it off for free. A major airline wouldn't even pay me $40 for one of my photos for a news release on their website. Since there were a number of pictures of that plane, I'm pretty sure they just got it off someone who was happy to get credited. Sad times for the photography business, but good luck, and let us know what happens.
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

Program Coordinator
    $100ish? Did they offer to pay you or try to get you to give it them?

Cary, I have the same problem as you all the time. I'm tired of it.

$500 is waaay too much unless it is something completely unique and is going to be used to make a lot of money for them. For a one time use, somewhere around $20-40 is what I ask for. Like it was said earlier, it depends on who it is and I always ask for photo credit.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I was baseing the price on the picture I sold last year,but it was used for an ad.

Doug

I have gotten over $500 for my Airshow photos as very large enlargements, especially printed sometimes especially framed/mounted etc. Sadly as Jeremy and Cary have pointed out, REPUTABLE publications, Airlines, Blogs, etc., have offered me the privilege of being displayed on their website or magazine for no money whatsoever :-( I usually politely decline unless it is for a nice story and the use isn't too conspicuous (like my EgyptAir 777 evening shot which was asked for use on a news story covering the near mis at JFK) It was a one time news article use so I gave it for free use in hopes of getting exposure. I sold two prints via that article. Not big sellers at 8x10s but hey, $40 was better than nothing.

The points to look at are: Uniqueness, use: Regularly published Magazine, quarterly, etc., Newsletter, How many copies, monthly run vs. sales, cover, inside cover, back cover, back inside cover, middle? full spread, double page spread, etc. all play a role in your pricing.

Creative Commons Non Commercial or Attribution Non Commercial has become so widespread because of Flickr and similar that most companies simply just use and attribute. Only commercial work is paid. IF it is a newsletter pub or a blog, make sure your image is not accidentally being displayed with a default license somewhere.

One tip though, keep 95-100% of your images a secret to the world. ONLY show potential clients your variety of images. If it has been seen in the wild, it loses its appeal considerably! But that's just me :-) Exposure of your images is the WORSE thing for your photography as a business! Pun intended... unless of course you have milked that image and it has become a cash cow.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS