Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JetBlue Considering ISP as Barger Takes a Very Public Tour

JetBlue Considering ISP as Barger Takes a Very Public Tour

Dave Barger took a very public tour of ISP today with Sen. Chuck Schumer and Islip Town Supervisor Tom Croci.

Barger said on Twitter that JetBlue is considering ISP and PVD, which he visited earlier this week.

Croci mentioned something about plans in the works to build a rail link to the LIRR in Ronkonkoma. Is that true or just hot air? I haven't heard anything about it.

http://www.news12.com/articleDetail....=LI&regionId=1
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Rail link from the terminal to the station? LOL who is paying for that? Would probably be more cost effective to buy a few of those really nice shuttles and hire some drivers.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

I knew they would consider PVD sooner or later. Will be nice if they start service from PVD, both for added traffic when spotting, and so I don't have to travel to BDL to fly on them like this summer when I take them to MCO. It works out good there too as there are two empty gates from when AA terminated service to PVD that no one has filled. Just like at BDL, I think that jetBlue can do very well filling flights out of PVD.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Personally I think that Barger came to ISP as a favor to Senator Screwme. I don't think there is a practical business reason to consider ISP service when ISP is right between JetBlue's 2 biggest stations (JFK and BOS). It would further dilute JFK in my opinion. With WN pulling back drastically, and just a sorry US operation left to augment that, I'd say that in the end they will admit that WN knows something and skip ISP...which is sad since I'd love to use ISP more!
    It's the fares, stupid

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    A rail link between the terminal in the airports is complete bogus.

Nick is dead on the money. Use bus service. Or a people mover if you really want to build some something beneath runways

But a rail link would be useless since the railroad in the terminal are so close together. In fact the railroad and the terminal areprobably about one train length apart!! Think about that for a moment

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie View Post
    But a rail link would be useless since the railroad in the terminal are so close together. In fact the railroad and the terminal areprobably about one train length apart!! Think about that for a moment
    I'm thinking that would be an awfully long train! Looking at Google Earth, a straight line - crossing the runways - between the terminal and the LIRR station is about 1.3 miles. Wrapping a rail line around the airfield would put it closer to three miles.

I read Newsday this morning and now they said they are thinking about a 'walkway' from the station to the terminal wtf? LOL. How are you going to do that underground?
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

My first issue is the fact that you guys trust anything Newsday says.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

I suspect the town has no actual interest in improving ISP access for train riders, as it would encourage the masses from the city to mooch off their quiet airport and lower fares (at least on Southwest). They could set up a shuttle bus in a week if they wanted to, but they haven't. Maybe a few well placed donations to local pols from the taxi owners help to maintain the status quo, too.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq View Post
    What Newsday is saying is irrelevant. Art was spot on here. In this business climate B6 getting gates at ISP is a severe longshot. Since snowbirding is the only lucrative routes people will just go to JFK. Personally I think B6 did this as a favor to Schumer as well.

As many have said ISP is in a perpetual state of going nowhere. Nobody will let the runways be lengthened and what you see now is what you get. WN and some regionals.

I love that word, snowbirding. LOL I'm going to put a feather in my hat since I am a snowbird.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq View Post
    As opposed to a random person on a message forum...

I'm not just an aviation enthusist in terms of these things. That's how I am going to leave this conversation.

isn't there already bus service from the station to the airport now?
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

I believe there ia or was a shuttle between the LIRR and Islip. The cost was $5.00. ISP was touting it a while ago as the greatest thing since sliced bread. What the article failed to mention, was the proposed plan for the new LIRR station complex which could connect to a new terminal on the North side of the field. If this is the case we wont see either because of LI's economy and NIMBY;s.
    "You above all"