Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JetBlue Considering ISP as Barger Takes a Very Public Tour

Nick and Mario...funds have already been established by NYS to develope a transportation hub between the Ronkonkoma LIRR station and ISP.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Funds set aside or not, it's ridiculous. It's not as if if they build it they will come. There is no hub needed. I mean look at the geography, the airport and the train station are relatively close apart you don't need a rail link to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie View Post
    Funds set aside or not, it's ridiculous. It's not as if if they build it they will come. There is no hub needed. I mean look at the geography, the airport and the train station are relatively close apart you don't need a rail link to make it happen.
    There's more then a rail link, the entire area around the LIRR station is getting a massive facelift...which is sorely needed. YOu get off the train now and it looks like you're in Compton...

It was redone in beautiful South American hardwood back in about 1996 when I worked for the railroad. I worked at station and remember it vividly. And all went to hell in less than a decade. And they proposed a link way back then....

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Building anything joining ISP and the station is a complete waste of money. Give me a break. B6 is not coming anytime soon. Even if they did snowbirds are not going to take a train to Ronkonkoma. FAIL
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

I don't claim to know much more about it than this: Another issue with rail link is that the LIRR mainline is singletrack from Pinelawn all the way out to Ronkonkoma. It's not reliable. All you need is one train to breakdown and the system fails.

Before you can even have a hub, you have to have reliable rail service. Port Washington, Babylon, even Long Beach has double track all the way up to their terminuses. But the mainline is asingle track for most of the way and all you need is one dead train from anywhere between Farmingdale actually in Ronkonkoma. One dead train will kill a flight.

That's why when I have anyone asking me whether or not they should take the air train from Jamaica to JFK, I tell them take any diesel train out of babylon into Jamaica. That is reliable. Best service on the LIRR.

Moron point until you get that main line to have a redundant system like – sets of tracks, a hub is doomed to fail

Good point, Mario.

I'm sure there are stats somewhere on how many people get to ISP via LIRR. I'm guessing it's not a whole lot but I'd love to see them.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Despite the likelihood of a rail link, there is just not enough demand for more airline service from ISP, especially when it appears B6 would serve markets already served by WN, which are leisure markets to Florida and points south. I don't think there is enough Caribbean traffic to justify a presence there, and absent an ICE inspection point at ISP, they could only serve locations offering pre-clearance.

I think it is very telling that WN is pulling back significantly--with perhaps more to come. I'd hate to think of US as the only choice out of ISP, but it could happen I guess....

For what it's worth, I also suggested to my friends at UA/CO that they consider Q400 service to IAD and/or CLE, but I doubt that will happen either.

In a perfect world, we'd have flights to hubs in IAD, ORD and ATL.....which have been done before, but with the right economics might work now.....but it just ain't gonna happen.
    It's the fares, stupid

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by Art at ISP View Post
    Despite the likelihood of a rail link, there is just not enough demand for more airline service from ISP, especially when it appears B6 would serve markets already served by WN, which are leisure markets to Florida and points south. I don't think there is enough Caribbean traffic to justify a presence there, and absent an ICE inspection point at ISP, they could only serve locations offering pre-clearance.

I think it is very telling that WN is pulling back significantly--with perhaps more to come. I'd hate to think of US as the only choice out of ISP, but it could happen I guess....

For what it's worth, I also suggested to my friends at UA/CO that they consider Q400 service to IAD and/or CLE, but I doubt that will happen either.

In a perfect world, we'd have flights to hubs in IAD, ORD and ATL.....which have been done before, but with the right economics might work now.....but it just ain't gonna happen.
    This sums it up. If routes like ISP-LAS couldn't even last I hardly see how B6 can make any go at ISP. Unless it's a sno bird route 3 months a year. Which isn't worth it or the building of any rail link. As we have beaten this horse to death many times. If you can't make the airport and runways bigger (which they can't) the service you see now is what you will have.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

True what Art says.....besides rail service, the flight services offered out of ISP are not great and waning, it seems.

So building a rail link aint going to make it any better.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    This sums it up. If routes like ISP-LAS couldn't even last I hardly see how B6 can make any go at ISP. Unless it's a sno bird route 3 months a year. Which isn't worth it or the building of any rail link. As we have beaten this horse to death many times. If you can't make the airport and runways bigger (which they can't) the service you see now is what you will have.
    Nick the size of the runway at ISP has nothing to do with the service that is offered there... The runway length is the same as LGA and can accomodate the same type of aircraft. The only reason WN has not pulled up shop is because they'll have to report the cost of the terminal as a one time loss on their balance sheet. The issue at ISP has and still is cost..its not a cheap airport for airlines to operate out of.

Tommy, you are on the correct trail. There is not a substantial year round market to support the type of operation that would justify an airline really digging into ISP. I think the best we can really expect ISP to ever be is something between Long Islands version Sarasota. Large but seasonal market type flying with mid to low yeild on all but a few markets.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"