Thread: Iranian F-14 Fighter Jet Crashes Near Persian Gulf, Killing Both Crewmen

Post Iranian F-14 Fighter Jet Crashes Near Persian Gulf, Killing Both Crewmen

NYCAviation:
    Iranian F-14 Fighter Jet Crashes Near Persian Gulf, Killing Both Crewmen

A vintage American-built Iran Air Force fighter jet crashed in southern Iran Thursday morning, killing the pilot and co-pilot.
    [Click to Read Full Article]

All politics aside - from a human perspective, it's sad to hear of the loss of 2 individuals and an F-14.
    I just find it so ironic that out of all the countries in the world to still be flying the F-14, it would be Iran. They must really be desperate at this point, if they are willing to send pilots up in those jets, knowing full well they are in dire need of replacement parts - none of which seem to be in abundant supply.
    So who wants to plan a mission to steal their remaining F-14's and bring them back to the US where they should still be flying in airshows? I'm thinking something along the lines of Clint Eastwood's role in Firefox. Anyone?

I do not understand....why are they in such bad shape? I hear that they have upgraded the systems and back engineered all the parts that are essential. The Iranians have many aircraft flying and for one to fail does not mean that there is an age issue... ie.... we lost a bunch of FA-18's last year.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Found some info on Wikipedia about the Iranian F-14's. Obviously, the total numbers and current status of each of the jets can't be confirmed.
    I can't believe they had the guts to ask the US to deliver the remaining F-14's from the original order!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_F-14_Tomcat#Iran

Interesting stuff, though.

Yep, 80 of 81 delivered, it is believed that 30-35 of them are flight worth as other have been used for parts. Some of the Aircraft that were spare planes have gone thru heavy checks and were operational and the operational jets became spares. They do not fly them as much as the U.S. Navy did for obvious reasons but they do fly them a decent amount from what I have read and seen. They had a few good 4 ship flybys on Iranian tv when they have their parades. All numbers in this post are estimates and best guesses.. No accurate numbers would be public.

The one that was in route when the overthrow happened was sent to DM and sat for 8 years. When they opened it, it still had the "NEW PLANE SMELL" as per the person who opened it told me. They checked the fluids as it was just left and it started as if it was shut down hours earlier and had no issues at all.
    Last edited by Derf; 2012-01-31 at 03:06 PM.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

I don't think a pane can sit for 8 years without the fluids and lines inside being a mess and needing replacement. No?

As for Iran, I also thought they were having replacement parts made on their own, or by China. I can't imagine a plane lasting a week without SOMETHING being replaced.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

I was wrong, it was the 80th of 80 and it sat in Davis Mothan....It did not belong to the Navy and they did not pickle the aircraft. It sat with all fluids and some Gas in the tanks! It was not preserved and one day, 8 years after it landed....they opened it up...fluids were fine and the plane easily started up.

While I agree that starting an airplane up with no fuss after 8 years is not possible, I got this from the pilot who actually did it. He personally told me that it had the new plane smell. This is first hand from the Turkey Pilot.

All the planes were saboaoged by the pilots from both sides when the takeover happened. The plane was reverse engineered and they were able to figure out how to make the parts. They were very capable of reverse engineering and think we will soon see some nice new stealth drones
    Last edited by Derf; 2012-01-31 at 04:31 PM.

I agree with Speedbagel_001. Politics aside any loss through aviation accidents or otherwise is a tragedy