Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Delays not improving after runway work at JFK.

Statisticly, I am going to have to disagree with the premis that it is airport configuration. It is the airlines. Between 0700 and 0930 JFK is a mad house. Again from 1800 to 2200 it gets the same way. Everyone wants to go at the same time, it is driven by market demand. In the last few years JFK has made tremendous improvements in their air traffic and delay management. Your not going to get additional runways but people are going to complain. Short of bulldozing LGA or EWR, the problem will remain status quo. You couldnt improve JFK operations by many stretched beyond what is being undertaken at the moment. Than, you have the factor of summer weather. Due to PHL and EWR's locations, RBV becomes the proverbial sacred goat. Even with the new JFK Wrap we will see come summer.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

I don't doubt that with some juggling of buildings and roads, they could find room for a new runway without disturbing the wildlife.

But even if by some miracle a design and financing were found, NIMBYs would never let it happen.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

I must say, a 747 on final makes a LOT of high pitched whining noise that is hard to swallow 24x7... I bet JFK neighbors love 4L/R arrivals and 31L departures
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

I have to agree with Hiss Srq.......when I use to work at JFK while attending college the prime hours of operations around the late 70's and early 80's was from 1500 - 2200. I definitely it's an operations issue and not a runway issues.

Here are a few MITO (Minimum Interval Take Off) videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNxmorJtq_8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ7niLYSVFo
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Hello everyone,

Im new to the site, but, have been visiting for sometime, I have read that they are planning to extend R/W 4L-22R and reconstruct it the same way as 13R-31L

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RDU-JFK View Post
    I'm not familiar with taxiway details at JFK; is this the area just north of 22L and 22R? When did it cease to be a STOL runway?
    You are correct. I believe the runway became no more in the 1990s.
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

Correect, I remember watching DH7's and an occasional J31 land on it in the early mid 90's or so I beleive it was. Used to be really cool to see a turboprop coming in on that one and slightly staggered behind it would be a BA 742 or something to that like for the big boy runway.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

The runway wasn't rebuilt with the purpose of improving delays...it was built because the old one's life span was up....

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76 View Post
    The runway wasn't rebuilt with the purpose of improving delays...it was built because the old one's life span was up....
    and I think it was 150' wide and they needed it to be 200' wide to meet some new standard?
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    and I think it was 150' wide and they needed it to be 200' wide to meet some new standard?
    That is correct in order to safely accommodate the Airbus A380 and Boeing 747-8 Intercontinental/Freighter.
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094