Thread: Photos of aircraft ferrying spare engines

Photos of aircraft ferrying spare engines

I thought this would be an interesting topic. Although I’ve never seen aircraft configured for this mission in person, I’ve heard that ferrying a spare engine under-wing has been done for many years.

So I googled the subject and found a thread on airliners.net that has some info and photos. Really cool stuff!

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...d.main/200315/

Has anyone got any photos of aircraft in the NYC area that were ferrying engines?
    What kind of restrictions do those aircraft have when flying here?

When I use to work at JFK airport many many moon's ago, I did see 747's ferrying a engine under the wing.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

I have always found the ability of older airplanes to do this facinating from the science side of it. I wonder what kind of performance penalties are incurred as a result if ferrying an engine. I know they stick a doughnut lock on the engine to prevent windmilling and additional drag. I know for a fact we have at least two 747 pilots that are regulars on the forum. One of which I know flies the classic. Maybe they would have some information buried deep into their heads on this.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"