Thread: Sigma 150-500MM F5-6.3?

Sigma 150-500MM F5-6.3?

Hello,does anyone use the Sigma 150-500 for spotting? I know some of you are using the Canon 100-400, and I have the Canon 70-200 F4 USM but it's not long enough to shoot at Boston,does anyone can give me the advice about Sigma 150-500,thanks~

Take a look at this thread I started a few months ago when I asked a similar question. It should give you some insight.....

http://nycaviation.com/forum/threads...hlight=150-500
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

I would add to that thread (I am doing it here since it is fresher) that the lens will NOT focus in extreme cold conditions (perhaps not so cold too) as two different friends with two different copies have experienced. Warming up the lens will return normal operation. This is confirmed via Google searches as well.

Now, as for quality images, I have seen some output from a 16MP Nikon D5100 and when the focus is good, the lens produces pretty good output!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

thx for your guys replies ,perhaps I can charge for a used Canon 100-400

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    I would add to that thread (I am doing it here since it is fresher) that the lens will NOT focus in extreme cold conditions (perhaps not so cold too) as two different friends with two different copies have experienced. Warming up the lens will return normal operation. This is confirmed via Google searches as well.

Now, as for quality images, I have seen some output from a 16MP Nikon D5100 and when the focus is good, the lens produces pretty good output!
    I noticed last weekend that my 100-400 was having a little trouble focusing in the cold weather as well. Not too badly, but it was "searching" more than it does in normal temps.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Quote Originally Posted by steve1840 View Post
    I noticed last weekend that my 100-400 was having a little trouble focusing in the cold weather as well. Not too badly, but it was "searching" more than it does in normal temps.
    I've never had that problem, and I've been out spotting in some cold weather with it...

When it's been attached to my D40x, I've never had a problem with it, even in cold weather.

Last weekend was the first time I had it attached to my new D90, and I was getting the infamous "Err" message. Once I shut the camera off then back on it would take care of the problem.

See my Flick stream for the JetBlue and Air China shots- those were taken with this lens.

-William

Okay.........this sounds like a money making idea........you've heard of leg warmers, now what about lens warmers (you can even have one with a low leve heating element. This would be the high end version of the lens wamers.)). You can even have custom lens warmers for your type of camera (Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc.).
    Last edited by Zee71; 2012-01-20 at 03:40 PM.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet