Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Air Force One 1-19-2012

Air Force One 1-19-2012

The President will be in NYC for a few fundraisers on Thursday so be on the lookout for AF-1 in the area. No TFR yet but I am guessing Kennedy.
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

JFK is where AF1 usually lands at. Too bad i wont be out there to catch it
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

Thanks for the heads up Fred - we saw the C-17 and a gaggle of helicopters arrive at JFK this morning.

Just got buzzed by two Sea Kings.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

TFR: http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_2_3028.html

Looks like he'll arrive around 4pm.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

about 700 feet west of runway 14-32 in Farmingdale
    Thanks for the heads up, I would love to go there and photograph AF1 as I haven't done so yet. Any idea where the best spot to photograph it would be? Thanks in advance.
    Joe

Bayswater Park, Joe. 99.99% of the time, that will be the place to catch his arrival.

Innwood Park is a little closer to the pattern but no views of the airport.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    Innwood Park is a little closer to the pattern but no views of the airport.
    Lot closer, it depends on what you want. If you want to get the detail of the aircraft and if the sun is out. Inwood that late, this time of year is golden light. With the forecast of clouds Bayswater may give you a better shot though. With that fuselage I would do my sun dance because you could get a great exposure on it with late sun up close.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

about 700 feet west of runway 14-32 in Farmingdale
    Thanks guys for the tips on location, I will try to get there tomorrow by 3:30 so as to not be sitting around for so long. Do the secret service give you a hard time there being in plain obvious sight? I remember a few years back when Bush visited Farmingdale, you couldn't stop for a second without being hassled. Is anyone else planning on attending?
    Joe

I don't know that I'll be out for it - I have some things going on, and it depends on the weather. I've never had anyone - PD, SS, or otherwise - question me when photographing AF1. In fact, I've never seen any LEOs, other than the occasional NYPD helicopter, in the area when I've been at one of the usual spotting locations. That's not to say that someone won't have eyes on you, but you shouldn't have any problems if you are out in a public location.

When GWB flew into FRG in 2004, security was tight, and New Highway, past where the airplane was parked, was probably closed, but you could get to spots to photograph it without a hassle...

During UN week, some of use shot AF1 standing next to Nassau SWAT and NYPD ... I know during the departure some days later, at Bayswater, I was openly photographing with my long lens on a monopod all while NASSAU PD helicopters hovered and observed me overhead.

It's probably far more dangerous to try and get a closeup shot of the helicopters as they are much more vulnerable than AF1 ... but either way, it has never been a problem for me taking pictures of AF1

Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    It's probably far more dangerous to try and get a closeup shot of the helicopters as they are much more vulnerable than AF1 ... but either way, it has never been a problem for me taking pictures of AF1
    Go down to KJRB when the copters come in and you will have no problem there. Lots of great vantage points.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    When GWB flew into FRG in 2004, security was tight, and New Highway, past where the airplane was parked, was probably closed, but you could get to spots to photograph it without a hassle...

Actually New Highway was open when the Pres was on his activities. But the traffic was quite slow from all the gawkers (like me) driving past.

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    Anyone know if the C-17 parked in front of the triple hangars this morning was the same one that arrived a few days ago (03-3125)?