Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Air Force One 1-19-2012

Nice work in some tough conditions, Joe!

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    Same reason they use JRB and not East 34th St: E34 has no room to stage all those helos and all the assets for the motorcade (if you've never seen the POTUS motorcade, it's huge - within DC moves were easily 20+ vehicles).

Apparently Nassau PD saw two people on the railroad trestle near 31L and sent someone over to check it out. If that was anybody reading this - not cool.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    Apparently Nassau PD saw two people on the railroad trestle near 31L and sent someone over to check it out. If that was anybody reading this - not cool.
    You mean the one near 13R? Charles Park?
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    You mean the one near 13R? Charles Park?
    I heard that to on 123.100 at the time but decided against posting it until now. SS advised that they had 2 white males on the 'trestle south of 31L' and had NC PD helo check it out. They initially requested a helo who responded that they were 'still at Randalls, do you want me to head over?' At that point they changed the request to someone more local and repeated the description of the perps. I googled earth'd it and hey what a great view of the rollout of AF1 on 31L, but not cool.

I also heard one of the heli's ask "Got an ETA on the Package?"

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by ch2tdriver View Post
    I googled earth'd it and hey what a great view of the rollout of AF1 on 31L, but not cool.
    Looks tight, there can't be a walkway but yea that would be a great spot to shoot it. Watch for an upload.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I was at Bayswater all by lonesome,
    Hi Joe, there was another NYCAv'er hidden in the reeds... me. I was about, uhm, 500ish yards east of your position. You took some good shots in crappy light conditions. I put a couple of mine on my tumblr, and uploaded one to A.net, but with little hope. Really not the best light. But this is a campaign year, and NYC is where the money is, so we can count on a few more opportunities.

Sound like maybe fishermen. I've seen guys in the past from HoBe going to fish near the bridge. Also, earlier in the day, I was spotting from Bayswater and I saw three hunters across by Inwood in their hunting attire, camouflage boat, etc. (at one point I thought I even heard a gun shot). Maybe they were on bird watch patrol for the Port Authority.

Here is a shot from the backyard of 1 of the 3 helio's that passed by.

Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

I am kinda doubting they were hunters. I believe hunters are required to wear orange on top of their camo (silly in a way, I know). Also, gunshots are common at JFK from Port to get rid of birds in the area. It's common to hear it a few times a day while spotting within eye-shot of the airport (Bayswater/Hobe).
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

about 700 feet west of runway 14-32 in Farmingdale
    Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    Nice work in some tough conditions, Joe!
    Thanks Moose!

Quote Originally Posted by Zee71 View Post
    Nice set Joe! The first time I saw AF One was very moving, she is one awesome bird.
    I was very happy to finally see it in person, I almost wanted to put down the camera and just take it in, like the first time seeing a B-2 or an F-22, but I'd rather have a photograph instead of a brief memory. It's kind of like airshows, I always try to go two days, with the first being a heavy photo day and the second, I try to enjoy the show. Unless I didn't get that shot that I wanted, or our local Jones Beach air show where one day is at the airport and one day at the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Arinyc View Post
    Hi Joe, there was another NYCAv'er hidden in the reeds... me. I was about, uhm, 500ish yards east of your position. You took some good shots in crappy light conditions.
    Thanks, I didn't see anyone around, you should have come out and said hello, it's always nice meeting new people.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    I am kinda doubting they were hunters. I believe hunters are required to wear orange on top of their camo (silly in a way, I know).
    I'm not a hunter, however my brother in law is a big hunter. They wear something orange so that they are visible to other hunters as to not get shot. It's only during rifle season as some people get excited when sitting still all day and when they finally hear something, they take a shot without fully seeing their target. While not ethical, there are a lot of yahoos out there. No such restriction with the bow as you generally only have a range of 30 - 40 yards at best. As for those guys, their main intent may be to stay hidden as there may be no concern of other hunters in the area. They could be security as well as bird clearers.

My Uncle hunted and as stated they were required to wear bright orange stuff to make sure they don't get shot at. I believe they are bird control representatives for the port authority, to keep the bird population in check!
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Quote Originally Posted by Zee71 View Post
    I believe they are bird control representatives for the port authority, to keep the bird population in check!
    Or the Spotter Population in check!!!

I did some hunting research, as that sure looks like a rifle standing up just to the right of the guy on the left.

1. They might work for Port, but believe it or not, it is hunting season for a lot of different animals in Nassau and Suffolk right now, including sea ducks. I didn't think shooting outside in Nassau was allowed...but it is.
    2. Those birds in the water in front of them: Were they real? Maybe decoys?
    3. There's no law in New York requiring orange vests, they're just strongly recommended, especially for big game shooters. Visibility isn't much of an issue if they're out in the open, as opposed to in the middle of the woods.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9