Thread: 747-8 approved for service to EWR

747-8 approved for service to EWR

I cannot post the link right now, but CBS is reporting that the 747-8 has been granted a waiver to serve at EWR.

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    Who had applied for it, Lufti?

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    why's it need a waiver?
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Port Authority applied for the waiver, as Newark's taxiways and runways do not meet the required widths for the new Airplane Design Group VI, of which the 747-8 and A380 are members. The A380 has not been approved for EWR ops.

Runways
    ADG VI requirement: 200 ft wide with 40 ft shoulders (280 ft total)
    Newark: 150 ft wide with 25 ft shoulders and 15 ft erosion pavement (230 ft total)

Taxiways
    ADG VI requirement: 100 ft wide with 40 ft stabilized shoulders (180 ft total)
    Newark: 75 ft wide with 25 ft stabilized shoulders and 15 ft erosion pavement (155 ft total)

Runway to Taxiway Separation
    ADG VI requirement: 500-550 ft depending on elevation
    Newark: 350-400 ft

There are several other measurements considered as well...

Because of the tight squeeze, the 747-8 will be banned from certain EWR taxiways and ATC will need to implement special taxi paths to ensure it doesn't smack into stuff. Also, 747-8s may not taxi over 20 mph at EWR, and they will need to be careful of jet blast as well.

Here is the full document: http://www.faa.gov/airports/engineer...wr_747_MOS.pdf
    Last edited by Matt Molnar; 2012-01-15 at 03:48 PM.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

I had no idea that the A380 hasn't be approved for EWR. All that technology and nowhere to land!

Airlines are interested in this not just to land at EWR as a destination, but also so they can have more alternate airports when weather is bad, which is just as important.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].