Thread: [DVR Alert] Southland Season 4

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar

[DVR Alert] Southland Season 4

TNT's cop drama Southland is coming back for its fourth season Tuesday, January 17th at 10PM EST.

This show has more of a raw look and feel to it unlike other cop shows this show in comparable to the TV series Third Watch. It is one of the few shows I still enjoy watching on TV.

Here is a spoiler-free synopsis I found:

Head back to the streets of Los Angeles for the new, explosive season of Southland, the critically acclaimed drama series from Warner Bros. Television and Emmy-winning producer John Wells (ER, The West Wing). Chronicling the lives of LAPD officers and detectives like no other series on television, this powerful, intensely emotional drama stars Michael Cudlitz, Shawn Hatosy, Regina King and Ben McKenzie, along with special guest star Lucy Liu.

Since premiering in 2009, Southland has redefined the police drama with its raw, authentic look at the lives and work of Los Angeles detectives and beat cops. The show centers on four main characters: Officer John Cooper (Cudlitz), a seasoned cop who will have to prove himself again after recovering from surgery; Officer Ben Sherman (McKenzie), who still has much to learn after recently completing his training rotation; Detective Lydia Adams (King), whose unending caseload hits closer to home; and Sammy Bryant (Hatosy), a former detective who decided to go back to being a uniform cop after the traumatic death of his partner.

Shot on location in the streets and neighborhoods of Los Angeles, Southland captures a realistic, natural environment where similar situations can and often do occur in real life. The series was created by Emmy winner Ann Biderman (NYPD Blue, Public Enemies) and is executive-produced by Emmy winners Christopher Chulack (ER, Third Watch) and John Wells. Chulack is also a primary director of the series, while Jonathan Lisco (The District) serves as executive producer and Andrew Stearn (Shameless, The West Wing) is co-executive producer.

You can find find a more in depth overview at the show's
    Wikipedia page[link] but it does contain some spoilers.

The reason why this show is not as popular as Blue Bloods or NCIS is because NBC totally screwed up the marketing and promotion for it and let it die. Thankfully, TNT has picked it up and viewership last season was good.

If you are into dramas I would give it a shot and watch two episodes or so and give it a shot, you'll either love it or hate it. Just take note that it isn't a family friendly show.

You can check it out and even watch some full length episodes here http://www.tnt.tv/series/southland/
    Last edited by Fighting_falcon_51; 2012-01-14 at 07:12 PM.
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

Yesterday, I found a link to the first episode - the full episode, looked like it was set up as a preview for reviewers. The link has been taken down, but I watched it yesterday - it's spectacular! I think Southland is about the best thing on TV these days, and the new season premiere doesn't disappoint! Even though I saw it already, I'll be watching Tuesday night - it's that good. On a TV forum I frequent, one of the regulars in the Southland forum is a retired LAPD patrol officer, and the show has his seal of approval. Many of the stories are based on actual events, and a number of the characters are based on real LAPD officers as well.

Kenny, that sounds like the promo for the first season - there were a number of events during last season that aren't reflected in that, Several of those characters have left the show, for one reason or another. A couple of new-comers have been added, and they fit the story very well.

Southland is must-see-TV in my book!

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    Yesterday, I found a link to the first episode - the full episode, looked like it was set up as a preview for reviewers. The link has been taken down, but I watched it yesterday - it's spectacular! I think Southland is about the best thing on TV these days, and the new season premiere doesn't disappoint! Even though I saw it already, I'll be watching Tuesday night - it's that good. On a TV forum I frequent, one of the regulars in the Southland forum is a retired LAPD patrol officer, and the show has his seal of approval. Many of the stories are based on actual events, and a number of the characters are based on real LAPD officers as well.

Kenny, that sounds like the promo for the first season - there were a number of events during last season that aren't reflected in that, Several of those characters have left the show, for one reason or another. A couple of new-comers have been added, and they fit the story very well.

Southland is must-see-TV in my book!
    Wow, this makes me even more excited for Tuesday night!

That was the only decent promo I could find that didn't have major spoilers from the last season, but I found one on TNT's site and I replaced it.
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

Fantastic show, as Moose said its the best thing on TV today, nothing comes close. Its raw, real, and connects!