Thread: Cool Flight Around Freedom Tower

Cool Flight Around Freedom Tower

Awesome vid!

Today's NYCA Video of the Day on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/NYCAviation/...20920574660098
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Wow! I'm honored!! And thanks for the note about flying the area. It's a lot of coordination between all of the towers to be allowed to do this. I Fax them all a request, the follow up with a detailed phone call. On the fax is all of my information, as well as the photographer's info. I also took TSA exams, and am recorded.
    Last edited by Altitude9; 2012-01-11 at 02:15 PM.

Beautiful video! I have to say though, I'm surprised they granted your request, despite all the prep work you did. That's some of the most sensitive airspace in the nation. In fact, I'm surprised the Hudson River corridor is still open to GA traffic after all the hoopla with the helicopter/plane accident

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    Beautiful video! I have to say though, I'm surprised they granted your request, despite all the prep work you did. That's some of the most sensitive airspace in the nation. In fact, I'm surprised the Hudson River corridor is still open to GA traffic after all the hoopla with the helicopter/plane accident
    After the helicopter/plane accident they had a huge conference at the EWR Hilton. Hundreds of local pilots and controllers showed up. Basically, the guy who slammed into the helicopter was not from the area. Aside from that, he was not prepared to fly the NYC corridor, and was incredibly ambiguous on the radio. While the media tried to blame it on the TEB controller who was talking to his girlfriend, the blame is totally on the Plane-pilot, who basically wasn't paying attention. That said, the Hudson River corridor handles roughly 200 aircraft per day! You NEED to have your head on a swivel when you fly this area.

I've been flying NYC for about 10 years now, and most of the controllers know me. I've heard them deny other people out of the airspace due to unsafe radio calls, or ambiguous radio calls. There's simply no time to decipher what an unknown aircraft is trying to do, and as a result, they simply deny them.

So I get these request generally granted, provided that the photo mission is out of the departure patch of the major airports. I get in those sensitive areas based on the winds of that given day. There are times however, that the controllers will actually HOLD the departures for us to go in and shoot a particular target, but we try to respect what they do on a day to day basis, and try our best avoid being annoying.

Just an aside note: NYC controllers are the absolute BEST in the world. Always turn down the buzz from what the media may want you to believe. Yes they are gruff, but that's mainly because people don't pay attention. If you have an emergency, there is absolutely no one else I'd rather have on the other side of the radio.

Thanks for the explanation, I figured as much. So ummm.....you open to new passengers?

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    Thanks for the explanation, I figured as much. So ummm.....you open to new passengers?
    For Photo missions, it's kind of hard to bring you on board, because I'm actually hired out (not to mention the back seats gets a bit windy and cold flying with the window open). But you can always do a tour or a one time flight. If you're interested, I can put you in touch with my FBO that I work out of. Feel free to PM me. I'm based out of KCDW.

That looks like it was a fun flight! Nice Video too!

When talking to my friend Paul about all the great shots I get in his T-6 I did mention that my dream flight would be a Photographers wet dream to do a sunrise flight up the Hudson to take pictures of the WTC. I explained that while buildings are being built they are not very pretty but it dates the flight and there will be millions of shots of the towers built but in progress is what people will look at in amazement in the future as I look at twin tower buildings and could only WISH I was around to see those in progress. He did ask me one day September to meet him at 4:30 am at the airport and I did not ask any questions.

I was amazed that I only had seen 2 aircraft the entire flight and they were both passing over us on final for JFK. Not
    one aircraft was seen after passing JFK. It was surreal and the most peaceful flight I have ever been in, No traffic over
    NYC was Twilight Zone creepy and it was weird to just pull off the headset, open the canopy in the cool crisp morning
    air and enjoy the roar of that big ole Pratt, feel the wind in my hair and take photos not thinking about traffic in the
    area.

Passing the Statue of Liberty Was Awesome, Basking in the low morning light made her the beacon an not the torch

The shot I wanted was the silhouette of the WTC and I could not ask for a better shot

I did get many more shots of the Empire and of Manhattan, LGA and even Filex 101 at Bethpage. It was the flight of a lifetime
    and I would recommend that if you are going to pay for a flight like this.

1. Try to get an open cockpit
    2. Take off minutes before sunrise or at sunrise.
    3. TAKE OFF THE HEADPHONES
    4. Take 2 Camera, one Wide Angle and one with a zoom like 28-75 or so.
    It was AMAZING

Here are a few more shots

Not one flight in or out that I had seen! LGA??? REALLY???

Anyway, sorry if I hijacked the thread a little but if others were going to attempt this, I just wanted to give some
    input and Say, YOUR CRAZY NOT TO DOCUMENT THIS PART OF OUR HISTORY IF YOU CAN..... Especially if it is going
    to cost just a few dollars. If anyone in really interested, You should post here and see if a few of the forum
    members could go together and all chip in for the plane ride. The Skyline is changing fast, it is really one of the
    biggest events in NY history that were documenting and later in life you will probably think... WHY DID I NOT DO THAT
    WHEN I HAD THE CHANCE!
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Fantastic Photos!! And I absolutely agree! I did get the privilege to do a morning flight which inspired me to do one of my videos. You're correct...no traffic in the corridor, and the only traffic I heard was when we got transferred to EWR's tower (as opposed to the transient tower). A deep voiced "Good morning, Tower, Fed Ex, {xxx} on the ILS 4". It was very cool.

This was the video that got inspired after taking that flight:

Oh, and feel free to hijack my threads any time you want with those awesome pics!! :)

Great video and pictures. On the last Friday of last year i left work early and ventured downtown. I started my trek at the City Hall subway station and walked down to the South Street Seaport. it was one of those unseasonably "warm" days we have been having and i hung out on the upstairs deck having a bite to eat, a few adult beverages and watching a very busy Downtown Heliport as the sun set brightly. From there I walked down to Battery Park along the FDR then along the sea wall heading to Battery Park city. At the end of West Street and the Park I got a good look at the Freedom Tower shining in the distance. It actually put a lump in my throat. Over 20 years ago while going to college downtown I stood in that very same location admiring the beauty of the WTC its lights shining in the dusk of the night. And here was this new building rising strongly in the ruins of that dreadful day. I felt very proud at that moment of our country and the hard working people who keep it going.
    I continued onward along Battery Park City then crossed the bridge over West Street and made my way up to the WTC/Church Street subway entrance where I sat awhile admiring this wonderful structure. And it keeps growing upward everyday!! Just so great!!

Yeah it's pretty cool to see the building "rise from the ashes" ...I heard someone say today.

I am glad I got some pictures of the beginning. I wish I went in there more often

10 years later
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Nice Shots Derf!
    http://brandonsaviationblog.blogspot.com/ My continuing updated Aviation Blog
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/seahawks7757/ My continuing updated photostream from BFI and sometimes SEA

Wow, that one picture shows A LOT of rebar!