Thread: Canon 100-400 Question

Canon 100-400 Question

I just purchased a Canon 100-400 lense,and was wondering what settings I should use for aviation pictures.

Doug

Whatever works...

Doug, I've been using that lens for about 5 years, starting with a 300D, then a 30D, and now on a 40D - it's my main aviation lens. In normal conditions, I use f/7.1 or f/8, it's a little sharper when it's stopped down a little. When you are photographing aircraft in flight, use IS Mode 2 - that turns off IS on one axis when you are panning. Some say it is a little soft at the long end (400mm) but I haven't noticed it enough that it is an issue for me.

You want a challenge? Go out on a windy day (say 25-30kt gusts), put the lens hood on, slide it out to the 300-400mm end, then slow your shutter speed down to about 1/125 to get some nice prop blur...

Enjoy it - it's a great lens!

Thanks for the help,Moose. I tried out Jeremy Dando's lens earlier this year,and was hooked.

Doug

One of the gripes you sometimes read in reviews of the lens is the push-pull zoom, but for year shooting film, I had a push-pull zoom, and I much prefer it to twist zooms.

When I tried out Jeremy's lens it never bothered me having to push or pull vs. twist.

Doug

about 700 feet west of runway 14-32 in Farmingdale
    I have the lens and actually prefer the push pull over the twist as I find that I can zoom in and out much quicker. I haven't shot much with manual using that lens, I generally use TV and set the speed to what I am shooting. For jets, I prefer to use 800 or faster and props, I have had success shooting as slow as 1/60th.

Hate the push-pull. My copy tends to get stuck in certain positions while zooming, regardless of setting the locking action to "Smooth". I could see the push-pull coming in handy for airshows, though.
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

Program Coordinator
    Used it exclusively for years: push/pull didnt faze me at all...sharp on my 40d, felt it was soft on the long end on my 7d...sold it for a 70-200 f/2.8 and haven't regretted it, but some quality stuff came from that lens.

This lens is the reason I almost decided to leave Nikon.

Almost.

Oh oh. I got you hooked. You will get some great shots with the lens. I like my lens, great flexibility, good image quality. The IS is good for getting the prop shots. Like I said, I generally shot at F7.1, anywhere from 1/30-1/800 shutter speed.

Jeremy in Minnesota

My pictures on jp.net

Quote Originally Posted by JDANDO View Post
    Oh oh. I got you hooked. You will get some great shots with the lens. I like my lens, great flexibility, good image quality. The IS is good for getting the prop shots. Like I said, I generally shot at F7.1, anywhere from 1/30-1/800 shutter speed.

Yeah,ever since I tried yours out I've been saving my pennies to get one.
    Doug