Thread: Active Runways in the NY Area

Active Runways in the NY Area

Was searching the web to see if there was a quick way to find out what runways were active at EWR and stumbled onto this:

http://www.nyartcc.org/runway

Seems accurate for KEWR, not sure about JFK, LGA & PHL. Lots of other usefull links on this site. One thats cool is the arrivals and departure flows for area airports:

http://www.nyartcc.org/N90Flows/

Select the airport and runway and watch it go. I found it useful to figure out were the traffic is going to/from in my neck of the woods.

Woz
    Woz

Those are for VATSIM. While usually pretty accurate, it's not guaranteed to be exact, especially if they're using an older METAR. The most updated METAR are available at http://aviationweather.gov/adds/metars/

Just check the winds.

Go to www4.passur.com/ewr.html and this will show you which runways are in use.
    Last edited by markg; 2011-12-28 at 06:00 PM. Reason: mistyped URL

Quote Originally Posted by heeshung View Post
    Those are for VATSIM. While usually pretty accurate, it's not guaranteed to be exact, especially if they're using an older METAR. The most updated METAR are available at http://aviationweather.gov/adds/metars/

Just check the winds.
    Winds? At JFK? They don't give a damn about the winds... Sure, most of the time it makes sense, but a lot of times, they are completely against what would seem normal. JFK will do whatever they damn well please. Twice today I heard pilots ask why JFK was still on the 22s when the winds clearly favored the 31s. Korean 81 Super A380 had to go around because they couldn't fight the 40MPH cross wind gusts! Eventually they gt 31L.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by markg View Post
    Go to www4.passur.com/ewr.html and this will show you which runways are in use.
    Since you mentioned it, I happen to love using passur. However, the last couple of months I can't get the passur site to work at all. I've tried a number of airport monitors and none of them function correctly. The page loads, the map loads, but planes don't move (if they show up at all), and nothing is clickable. I've tried this on several computers, with the same result. It used to work flawlessly for me with never any problem. Now, it doesn't work at all. My hunch is that something broke when Apple released updates to Java in recent months. Yes, these are all Macs I'm testing on - haven't tried it on a PC yet.

Anyone out there on a Mac who can tell me if the site works for them? (sorry for the thread detour)

Sorry, forgot about JFK.

JFK is whatever they want.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    Winds? At JFK? They don't give a damn about the winds... Sure, most of the time it makes sense, but a lot of times, they are completely against what would seem normal. JFK will do whatever they damn well please. Twice today I heard pilots ask why JFK was still on the 22s when the winds clearly favored the 31s. Korean 81 Super A380 had to go around because they couldn't fight the 40MPH cross wind gusts! Eventually they gt 31L.
    I was surprised too I wanted to sneak out and grab the morning KA arrival but looking at the winds figured they would be landing on 31. 22 in that wind? Wow.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol